Rotoscope

User support for JPatch

Rotoscope

Postby scottie » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:41 am

I reciently started checking out Jpatch again and noticed in that latest versions that Rotoscope only allows an image in 1 viewport at a time. Kinda troublesome to rotoscope a profile then load in a front view, line up image and rotoscope that view only to reload the profile to do more rotoscoping.

I don't know if this is a bug or if it is a feature not yet added.

I am XP Home, SP1 and Blender, Hamapatch, Spatch, Zmodeler, MarbelClay, C4D demo, Houdini Apprentice all work fine with rotoscoping. Is there a fix or some script I can get(Or if someone can tell me how to write one) that could fix this problem.
scottie

Postby Torf » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:12 am

I'm not sure I got your problem right, but here with 0.5.2 using Linux it's no problem to have a separate rotoscope in each viewport. Moving and resizing them isn't a problem, either. The only thing I can't accomplish is two different rotoscope images for two viewports from the same direction, i.e. two left view viewports, each holding a different rotoscope. Is that what you're askin for?

And: By latest version, do you mean the stable ones (that would be 0.4.something I guess), or development (which is 0.5.2 probably :))?
Torf

Postby sascha » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:31 am

Hello Scottie, welcome to the JPatch forum!

Ok, I think I see what the problem is. A rotoscope image isn't bound to a paricular viewport, but to a paricular view (e.g. left-, front-, top-view) - which IMHO makes perfect sense. This seems to be broken in the current development version, but only when OpenGL is used (the rotoscope image is stored as a texture, seems that it doesn't update the texture properly when switching between views).

The software renderer seems to work fine.

Scottie, can you confirm that? Could you please try to switch to the software-renderer (you'll have to restart JPatch) and check whether the problem is gone? Thanks a lot!
sascha
Site Admin

Rotoscope

Postby Scottie » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:53 am

tried again. I was unsuccesfull with Software-z-buffer mode. OpenGl mode complained on restart saying something about JOGL not found.

Evrything else sems fine.

No: I am not tying to use more than one pic per viewport, just one for Front and one for Left. It just don't work on my PC(XP Home)

Nice Program though :)
Scottie

Postby pndragon » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:04 am

on XP SP2, the rotoscoping seems to working just fine for me...

--- Jim
Attachments
rotoscope.jpg
rotoscope.jpg (51.26 KiB) Viewed 7560 times
pndragon

rotoscope?

Postby scottie » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:52 pm

Yeah.
I feel relativly safe in assuming that Rotoscope dose NOT work correctly on my PC with thei new ver of Jpatch.

If "Out of the Box" the application don't work, am I supposed to automaticly know what OpenGl problems or conflicts Jpatch is having with my system? Blender(all 8 versions) seems to work fine, MarbleClay, Hamapatch, spatch seem to work fine also. ppModeler, anim8or, zmodeler, Houdini 7 apprentice, and even two really obscure 3d applications (Escolator and A.D.D.I.C.T) works fine.

Servicepack schmervice pack, Jpatch's Rotoscope "aint" cuttin' it on XP Home with the latest Java RE and it is kind of frustrating because I actually like the program. But Blender rules and I am happy with it, I just wanted to learn patch modeling.
scottie

Postby sascha » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:47 pm

Hello Scottie!

If "Out of the Box" the application don't work, am I supposed to automaticly know what OpenGl problems or conflicts Jpatch is having with my system?

Please keep in mind that versions 0.5.x of JPatch are development versions (they're not supposed to work "out of the box"). Besides, the major version number of 0 is another hint that JPatch is neither mature nor stable.

The rotoscopes not working correlctly with OpenGL is a bug in JPatch (and as I wrote earlier I've been able to reproduce it and I will also try to fix it). I've never said that this was a bug in OpenGL, let alone WindowsXP or Java!

When using the software renderer, no OpenGL code is used by JPatch, so this *should* work on any machine. Note that after switching the renderer (Java2D, software, OpenGL) you'll have to restart JPatch. The name of the renderer in use is displayed in the viewports.

If you are using the software renderer and still see problems with rotoscopes, could you please give me more detailed instructions about how to reproduce the problem - again, I've seen it when using GL, but had no problems when using the software-renderer here on my machine.

Thanks a lot!
sascha
Site Admin

Postby pndragon » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:57 pm

This was effectively "Out of the Box," being the first download I have used since CVS versions became available.

I have never, that I know of, made an attempt to resolve compatibility issues. I haven't had to. Jpatch has always worked just fine other some slight problems with OpenGL and the viewports recently (gone now--- Thanks Sascha!).

am I supposed to automaticly know what OpenGl problems or conflicts Jpatch is having with my system?

No... but you also have to remember and take into consideration that Jpatch is a less-than-stable work in progress. Nobody, including Sascha, knows what conflicts may arise.

--- Jim
pndragon

Rotoscope

Postby Scottie » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:59 am

Hey, Sacha.
First I want to say thank you for a great application and for all of your help. I am aware that jPatch is a WIP and the latest is addressing prior bugs.

I wasn't trying to be a penis about the issue I was having, I was getting frustrated because I thought I was missing somthing obvious(I guess I was).

The Software-z- render mode did not work for me, nor did the OpenGL. But the Java 2D worked fine and the Rotoscope seems fine.

I guess I will either put my choice of words under a f**kin' microscope next time, all I aimed to do was ask for help, not offend anyone. But that's ok, I won't be asking any more questions, I'll just read the posts.

P.S.

Once again, Sacha, Jpatch is great
Scottie

Re: Rotoscope

Postby squirrelhavoc » Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:57 am

Scottie wrote: I guess I will either put my choice of words under a f**kin' microscope next time, all I aimed to do was ask for help, not offend anyone. But that's ok, I won't be asking any more questions, I'll just read the posts.

I'm no admin here, but I see nothing wrong with asking for help, just make sure you make yourself clear. And try to be polite, other people just love that :wink:
Squirrel Havoc

We live as we think, very very slowly....
squirrelhavoc

Postby sascha » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:41 am

Hey Scotty,

as Squirrelhavoc pointed out, there's absolutely nothing wrong with asking questions. I also appreciate bug-reports (I won't be able to find all bugs on my own). It's a bit difficult right now, but Pndragon wrote a nice bug-database, I just haven't put it online yet :oops: - once it's online (I promise it will be before version 0.6) it should be easier to check whether the bug is already known or not.

About the rotoscope bug with the z-buffer renderer - please be more specific. As it seems, no one was able to reproduce it, and if I can't reproduce it, I won't be able to fix it...
sascha
Site Admin

Rotoscope

Postby scottie » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:41 pm

Sorry, guys.

I honestly don't know what eles to say. Maybe if I take my time, I could flesh it out better.

I just switched the Options for the realtime renderer settings back to "Software Z-Buffer". When I do that, Jpatch only allows one rotoscope image, let's say Front view. but if I try and load a side profile image in a left view, or any other view, nothing happens, no image is loaded. If I swtich to "Rotoscope tool", the other windows just read "No rotoscope set".

So, I later tried OpenGl and got the same results. Then, I remembered you saying something about an issue with OpenGl? I guess I had overlooked that there where actually 3 renderer options. So, I chose the Java 2D and that seems to work fine.

I get no other problems, all the tools seem to work great. I am clueless as to how to give you the information you need to address this. I guess it's not an XP issue because pndragon says it tested fine on XP.

My System info:
I have XP Home, SP1, Intel(R) Pentium 4 CPU 1.60GHz 1.59 GHz, 128 MB of RAM. SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio, Legacy Audio drivers and Legacy Video Capture. I have no idea if this is pertinent information.

My humble apologies for seeming sore. I have nothing but the highst respect for programmers(Especially genious like you, Sascha, and Ton Rosendaal) that give so much so freely. Please know that I appreciate this very much. I cannot fathom what you do, so I may be a little too daft to give coherent information, but I will try.

Well, as long as I switch to Java 2D renderer options and restart Jpatch, rotoscope seems to work fine. But I can't seem to get the other renderer options to work.
scottie

Return to Support / Help