Renderman Woes

User support for JPatch

Renderman Woes

Postby squirrelhavoc » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:50 am

Hello, sorry again since this is so off topic, it's not even funny. but you guys seemso nice, I thought I would ask this here first.

I recently switched to Linux (yay!), and I am having problems getting any renderman renderer to run. I am new with environment variables (i sort of know how to set PATH, but not permanently), and new with Unix in general. The problem I am getting, no matter what renderer I use, is that it can't find libraries it needs, the ones that it comes with. Ive tried 3Delight, Pixie, and uh some other one I can't remember. I tried the export LD_BLAHBLAH setting in my .bash_rc file, to automatically set it to the correct library path, but with no luck.

This might have to actually do with jpatch, I am using 0.4.1, and calling the renderer from the animator module. Now in windows, setting a variable in a DOS window only sets it for that window, not for the whole system. So am I setting it the right way, and jpatch is calling a program without the variables I set, or is setting it in bash_rc the right way to go?

Thanks for any help, I am really stumped by this one.
Squirrel Havoc

We live as we think, very very slowly....
squirrelhavoc

Postby sascha » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:51 am

Hello, sorry again since this is so off topic, it's not even funny. but you guys seemso nice, I thought I would ask this here first.

No problem. I could add an "off topic" forum if there is interest...

I recently switched to Linux (yay!)

Way to go! :-) Which distribution are you running?

RedHat based systems (e.g. Fedora) have a directory called /etc/profile.d that (might) contain some scripts: e.g. 00somescript.sh, 01someotherscript.sh,...
These are executed in order and can be used to set environment variables.
For example, I have a 01Java.sh file that reads
Code: Select all
JAVA_HOME="/opt/java"
PATH="$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin:/opt/eclipse:/opt/netbeans/bin"

On Ubuntu I had to install that package - it's called sysprofile and uses the directory /etc/sysprofile.d per default. You have to add a call to sysprofile to your etc/profile.
If you don't want to install sysprofile, you can add your PATH settings to /etc/profile as well.

Note that for programs started graphically via the desktop you have to set the path in /etc/X11/Xsession (or you can add a call to /etc/sysprofile there as well if you want to use that).

See man sysprofile if it is installed.

As far as JPatch is concerned: it should use the environment variables it got when you started it (and use them to invoke the renderers).
If this for some reason isn't sufficient, you can add environment-variables for each renderer in the "Renderer settings" dialog of the animator.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby squirrelhavoc » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:56 am

sascha wrote:No problem. I could add an "off topic" forum if there is interest...

That would be cool, people could ask questions about computer graphics in general

I recently switched to Linux (yay!)

Way to go! :-) Which distribution are you running?

I'm running Ubuntu (which I heard about here)

On Ubuntu I had to install that package - it's called sysprofile and uses the directory /etc/sysprofile.d per default. You have to add a call to sysprofile to your etc/profile.
If you don't want to install sysprofile, you can add your PATH settings to /etc/profile as well.

I'll try that, thanks
Squirrel Havoc

squirrelhavoc

Postby squirrelhavoc » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:25 am

The variables I set in /etc/profile don't work, I added Pixie's bin directory to the path, and when I go "echo $PATH" after rebooting it doesn't show up. I'm thinking theres another program/script that gets executed later in bootup that overwrites the variables. Is this possible?
Squirrel Havoc

squirrelhavoc

Postby sascha » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:11 am

Normally you don't overwrite the PATH but append to it. For example, the line
PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin
appends $JAVA_HOME/bin to the variable PATH - the colon (:) is used to separate path entries (note that on Windows a simicolon (;) is used).
Don't forget to export the variables after you've set them:
export PATH

Note that for applications started via X the path has to be set when launching X-Windows. E.g. on my machine there's a folder called /etc/X11/Xsession.d - All scripts in this folder will be executed when X starts up. I have a script named 99sysconfig that launches sysprofile:
# include sysprofile
if [ -f /etc/sysprofile ]; then
  . /etc/sysprofile
fi

export PATH

but it should also work if you add your path settings there.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby squirrelhavoc » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:57 pm

Gah! After days of working on this, it's beginning to frustrate the hell outta me :)

Here are the lines I added to /etc/profile, /etc/X11/Xsession, and even my .bashrc:

PATH=$PATH:"/usr/local/3delight-4.5.0/Linux-i686/bin"
export DELIGHT="/usr/local/3delight-4.5.0/Linux-i686"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/local/3delight-4.5.0/Linux-i686/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}"
export PATH
licserver $DELIGHT/license.dat

I added it to all 3 because I figured atleast one would work, but now I go to a terminal and type "echo $DELIGHT" and I see nothing. Ive tried those lines without the quotes, with the quotes, only some of it quoted, and so on...

I know it's not your responsibility, but I would appreciate any advice.

EDIT: I looked into sysprofile, and its not listed under the synaptic package manager, so I couldn't try it
Squirrel Havoc

squirrelhavoc

Postby sascha » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:35 pm

Ok, I tried it out on my machine and here's what I've found out:
I've added
export TEST="test"
to the following files:
1. /etc/profile: The effect was that the variable was visible on new login-shells (e.g. if you login to the box via secureshell - ssh), but not on new x-terminals.
2. ~/.bashrc: The effect was that the variable was visible in all new bash shells - but not for programs started "graphically", e.g. via a desktop shortcut.
3. I've added (as root) a file called 99test to the directory /etc/X11/XSession.d containing the export statement: After restarting X (e.g. call /etc/init.d/gdm restart as root - beware: it will shutdown X), the new variable should be visible to all X applications.

Now, if you primarily work under X-Windows, I'd choose the third approach.

I'm not a unix guru and I'm relatively new to Ubuntu - so if this doesn't work for you I'm afraid I can't help any further. I'm sure there are some Ubuntu user-forums with people eager to help :)

PS: You can set the renderer-envvars in JPatch - it's in the renderer settings dialog - you can enter a semicolon ( ; ) separated list of variables (name=value;name=value;...)
sascha
Site Admin

Postby squirrelhavoc » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:02 pm

Well I give up, I added that text to 99test in the Xsession.d folder, and it still cant find the libraries it needs.

Thanks anyway
Squirrel Havoc

squirrelhavoc

Postby sascha » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:44 am

Is it a problem of 3Delight or of the envvars? If you type "echo $DELIGHT", so you see it?
sascha
Site Admin

Postby squirrelhavoc » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:20 am

Yeah I see the path , and the $PATH variable is set correctly, its the library path that isnt working
Squirrel Havoc

squirrelhavoc

Return to Support / Help