Modelling a cylinder

User support for JPatch

Modelling a cylinder

Postby squirrelhavoc » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:37 pm

Hello, I am having problems with the peak options in jpatch. I guess what I am looking for is if you can set which peak type you want per axis (or maybe thats not what I want.)

I am trying to create an object similar to a cylinder that's closed. If I select the peaks on the upper edge and hit "flat", I get this cube thing:

If I hit "round", I get this bulgy thing:

Is there any way around this, to have flat peaks but still a smooth surface? I just want the body to be round from side to side, but the edge between the body and the top (or bottom) to have a sharp edge

Thanks
Squirrel Havoc

We live as we think, very very slowly....
squirrelhavoc

Postby sascha » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:00 pm

Yes, there are several ways to do this.

1) You can use the lathe tool. The lathe-curve could either be a single curve (with peak points on the caps), or could be made of individual curves attached to eachother. Be sure that the mode is set to "round" before you apply the lathe option.

2) In your example, you have to set the mode to round on the individual points. Keep in mind that wherever two splines cross you've actually got two "attached" controlpoints. In your case, you've set the tangent mode to round for all points. What you want to do is to set it to round only on those points that are on the splines which go around the cylinder. Unfortunately, you have to select them one by one manually: Select a point, hit TAB until the right curve gets highlighted, then set the mode to round. You'd have to do this wich each controlpoint (i.e. 8 times in your example).
Last edited by sascha on Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby Torf » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:38 pm

Check out this short tutorial in the wiki for a demonstration of the second approach Sascha mentioned.
Torf

Postby squirrelhavoc » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:46 pm

sascha wrote:2) In your example, you have to set the mode to round on the individual points. Keep in mind that wherever two splines cross you've actually got two "attached" controlpoints. In your case, you've set the tangent mode to round for all points. What you want to do is to set it to round only on those points that are on the splines which go around the cylinder. Unfortunately, you have to select them one by one manually: Select a point, hit TAB until the right curve gets highlighted, then set the mode to round. You'd have to do this wich each controlpoint (i.e. 8 times in your example).

I like being able to do this, but this brings me to a question (and a possible feature request).

I am used to the windows interface with every program, and in windows, tab cycles through things. But shift+tab cycles back, and I almost expect jpatch to do this. Is there a way to cycle back through the curves? If not, could you assign it to shift+tab?
Squirrel Havoc

We live as we think, very very slowly....
squirrelhavoc

Postby sascha » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:45 am

Makes sense, I'll add that feature.
sascha
Site Admin

Return to Support / Help