Bending/Advanced Rotations

User support for JPatch

Bending/Advanced Rotations

Postby Torf » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:40 am

I got flat strip of patches (all points y=0) and I'd like to bend that strip in the y-direction, so that the strip follows 1/4 of a circle. If possible, I'd also like to keep the distances between the points the same, that means if the distance from p1 to p2 is double the distance from p2 to p3, then the angle between p1 and p2 should be double the one between p2 and p3.

I'm not sure if I made myself clear, if not I can draw some images :wink:

Is this possible using the standard tools? It's a bit like rotating each point according to its distance to the start of the strip, something like a magnet-rotation.
Torf

Postby sascha » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:06 pm

Is this possible using the standard tools?

Not yet.

...something like a magnet-rotation.

You're right - it's quite similar to the magnet tool. I'm currently refactoring the selection related code. The new selections store (just like the "magnet"-selection before) not only points but also a weight for each point - and the tools will affect the points accordingly. So what you suggest should be possible in the future, although it will not keep the distances between points equal.

A similar effect can also be achieved with bones (in the future, you know :-) )
sascha
Site Admin

Postby Torf » Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:27 pm

sascha wrote:in the future, you know :-)

That's fine with me. The problem has already been solved by using a completely different approach :D
Torf

Postby pndragon » Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:51 am

The problem has already been solved by using a completely different approach

Just out of curiosity, how did you solve this problem? It sounds like something to keep note of.

--- Jim
pndragon

Postby Torf » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:02 am

I'm afraid I have to disappoint you: No special modeling technique, just a different modeling approach in general, so that the situation didn't even come up:

It was in my Carnivore model, and I wondered how to do the teeth. The heads are squeezed and partly rotated lathes, so I thought I'd include a strip in the lathe and have something like a strip of gums (with a lot of points in it to create the teeth), but it didn't work out because due to the partial rotation, all of these extra points where crowded in one part of the model instead of being evenly distributed. My solution was to model each tooth on its own and place them by hand :wink:
Torf

Return to Support / Help