expression / morph how to ?

User support for JPatch

expression / morph how to ?

Postby mstram » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:57 pm

Greetings,

First, Sascha, I love your impostor animation ! Fantastic to see such a great animation created with *free* modelling and rendering tools !
Secondly, thank you very much for developing Jpatch !

Now my question :)

I have A.M., and have imported the Shaggy model.

I created a new morph / expression, but I how do I get it to actually move the control points / patches ?

I selected a bunch and moved them around , and moved the slider from 0 - 1,but I can't figure out how to "set" the expression, ...

thx

Mike
mstram

Postby sascha » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:53 pm

Hi Mike,

thank you!

I created a new morph / expression, but I how do I get it to actually move the control points / patches ?

I selected a bunch and moved them around , and moved the slider from 0 - 1,but I can't figure out how to "set" the expression, ...

In the Tree panel on the right side, select the "Expressions" node and click on the "New morph" button.
Note that a new morph (named "new morph #1") has been created AND that the "EDIT" button right above the name is pressed,
You are now in the "edit morph" mode - which basically only allows to move points. After you're finished, click on the "Edit" button again to deselect it (and leave the "edit morph" mode). The morph is now ready to use - you can try it out by moving the slider.

You can further edit the morph by clicking on the EDIT button again.
JPatch 0.4P1 has a bug (it doesn't set the morph to it's max-value before entering edit morph mode) - please set the slider to the 100% position before clicking on the EDIT button.
Also, don't forget to click on EDIT again when you're finished.

Morphs are quite a new feature, so the implementation might be a bit clumsy. I don't know A:M in detail - but since you're an A:M user: how do you create morphs in A:M?

Note that this version of JPatch has some limitations - e.g. don't rotate or scale parts of your model after morphs have been defined - it will break the morphs - and automirror doesn't mirror them. (I've already addressed these problem in the latest development version),
sascha
Site Admin

Postby mstram » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:49 pm

Hi Sascha,

Ok thanks ! I ddn't notice the EDIT button, should have read the manual page more carefully :)

Ok, I sortof have it working, but I'm getting weird results, and I'm confused.

It's not letting me change the slider from 100 to 0.

Do I need to create a selection first ?

The NEW morph button is enabled even if I don't have anything selected. I assume that you have to select something first ?

I'll do a careful documented test right now, but while I'm doing that, maybe you can detal the exact steps to create a morph ?

Mike
mstram

Postby sascha » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:23 pm

You don't have to select anything first. It works as follows:

Start editing a (possibly new) morph.
Change the model.
Click EDIT again to finish editing the morph.
Now JPatch will analyze the difference between the model as it is now and as it was before editing the morph. This difference then becomes the morph.

You can use the slider once you've finished editing the morph.

Step by step:
* Model anything.
* Click on NEW MORPH
* Select half of the model and move it
* Click on EDIT to finish editing the morph.
* Play with the slider ;-)

Which version of JPatch are you using?
sascha
Site Admin

Postby mstram » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:42 am

==
JPatch 0.4 PREVIEW 1 compiled Mon May 9 17:00:10 2005
===

Ok, thx, I think I get it now.

I've discovered a bug.

I created some selection sets/names, and when I reload the file, they don't show up in the list box. They *are* in the file, though when I open it in a text editor.

What is the "bones" entry for in the panel? ... future use of A.M. bones ? (hoping).

Mike
mstram

Postby sascha » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:58 am

I created some selection sets/names, and when I reload the file, they don't show up in the list box. They *are* in the file, though when I open it in a text editor.

Strange... I'll have a look at it. Can you send me an example JPatch file that shows the problem?

What is the "bones" entry for in the panel? ... future use of A.M. bones ? (hoping)

Yes, they are for bones. I don't know if I can maintain A:M compatibility though - I'm afraid I can't.
sascha
Site Admin

Return to Support / Help