povray open close

User support for JPatch

povray open close

Postby animohn » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:03 pm

I was wondering in the jpatch animator when you select run animation using povray is there a way to set povray so it doesn’t have to open and close after rendering each frame or is that just the way it has to work?
animohn

Postby dcuny » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:24 am

Unfortunately, that's the way it works with POV-Ray under Windows. I bugged Sascha about that some time ago, and I think he fixed it so that it won't happen if you use MegaPOV.

I can't seem to find a link to the post in the forum, but I'm fairly certain it'll work.
dcuny

Postby sascha » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:42 am

David is right - you cannot change the behavior of the official POV-Ray for Windows version. This has caused havy discussions on the POV-Ray newsgroups, but the POV-Team is not willing to change it.
The solution is to use a commandline version of POV-Ray, like the Unix versions. For windows, you can try to compile it under cygwin. There's also MegaPOV which provides a commandline version for Windows (plus some other cool new features),

Note that the Windows GUI and the commandline versions have different commandline options, that's why you have to tell JPatch wheter you're using the Windows or a Unix-Style version. I don't know if the Macintosh version can be started this way.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby sascha » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:51 am

Of course POV-Ray can render whole animations in a single pass - but that would require that all the data needed is available in the POV-Ray file. Since the data JPatch exports for a single frame can be several hundred megabytes this approch doesn't seem feasible, so per-frame data is generated and the renderer is invoked per frame also.
Note that you can tell JPatch to not delete the per frame data after each frame was rendered - you could then write a simple POV-Ray script that loads the the right include (depending on the current frame) and render the whole animation in a single pass. The only problem is that it's very likely to run out of disk space :(

Note that the size of exported geometry-files depends on the subdivision level. If exporting triangles or quads, you need a very high subdiv-level, thus the files will be extremely large. For smaller sizes, you can use bicupic patch export (experimental - still causing creases!) or, in the case of RenderMan, choose a low subdiv-level but export as Catmull Clark Subdivision-Surface (this way further subdivision is performed at rendertime).
sascha
Site Admin

Return to Support / Help