User support for JPatch

Postby nine » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:29 pm

Using Windows XP jpatch.jar was attached to my JRE and I was able to have a look on the 0.4-preview...

Just some questions - perhaps they can be found in the documentation - but I did not found them....

How to get shaded view(s)? I right-clicked on the modeling window but nothing to find...

I am told that Shift + Z will Zoom - but I do not get any Zoom icon - perhaps not implemented...

The shortcuts - am I able to change them? I dont want to use Shift + Z to zoom - why not just Z ? And are there other Zoom alternatives? Zoom Selected?

And one more question... Selections - Groups - I am told to click the Add selection button to get a new selection - but I cannot find that button - no shortcut to do it?

Well - finding your way in a new program is not that easy...

Just a tips!
WINK you can use free to make tutorials - fast and easy - and they will be small - not so many bytes... Why not make a start up tutorials for the Newbies with WINK? It will take just half an hour... and perhaps my and all others questions will be answered by a WINK...

And perhaps say something about how to install PoVRAY too.... giving some clues how to render just a little...
nine

Postby nine » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:42 pm

I just forgot to give you the link to free WINK:
http://www.debugmode.com/wink/

Just download and install.
And then using the Pause key to capture the images from Jpatch you want to use to add some text to - and you will have a Flash tutorial after having rendered.

And the tutorial will be around 1 Megabyte... depends...
But really easy - and the tutorial can be very instructive if you have had some thoughts when doing it...

Another question is it possible for the members to upload tutorials to the JPatch Forum? Perhaps there are someones wanting to contribute... helping each other a bit...
:D
nine

Postby dBug » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:27 am

Hi i'm also an very newbie at patch modeling at all, i got far by reading the tutorials at this site, to view a shaded view of your object, rightclick in the view and select show->patches, and ofcours you have to create som patches and there are rules for that as descibed in the tutorials on jpatch site.

Rendering using povray is farely easy (i have used povray before soo i have some expirence of that), download win32 povray packages from http://www.povray.org and install, load your model in jPatch and export using menu File->export->Povray (.inc).

I have created an sample scene for previewing my objects that includes the model.inc, you can do that by:

Creating an preview.pov scene file, and add the following rows to the file using an texteditor, modify the path for your model to render.

Code: Select all
/* The object to include in scene this file is an modified file exported by
    jPatch, in the begining of the exported file modify the "union {" string
    to "#declare <objectname> = union {" objectame in my case is
    fungus, for more information what this does search povray site for
    information of declare keyword.

*/
#include "../../Models/Meshes/fungus.inc"

/* This adds the fungus object to the scene and then scales it down a lot
    for proper size, the scale value may be modified depending of object
   size.
*/
object { fungus

scale 0.03
}

/* Adding a camera */
camera {
   location <0,0.2, -2.5>
   up y*image_height right x*image_width
   look_at <0, 0, 0>
   angle 54
}

/* Adding a sun lightsource, with softshadows (arealight) */
light_source { 
   <-70, 40, -50>
   rgb <2.000000, 1.800000, 1.5>
   area_light
   <0,0,0>,<10,10,10,>,8,8   
   adaptive 8
   circular
   jitter

}   

/* A dark blue skyshere for enviroment (useful if object has reflection) */
sky_sphere {
    pigment {
      gradient y
      color_map {
        [0 color rgb<0,0,0.2>]
        [1 color rgb<1,1,1>]
      }
    }
}

/* A ground plane also useful to see reflection in object */
plane { y,-1
       pigment {
        color rgb<1,1,1>
       } 

}

Modify this file for your needs, and then doubleclick it for rendering the scene.

I have also made som notes/tutorial when i creating my objects with screenshots that i hope Sascha let me publish on his site, they includes
how to make, and my mistakes and how i did to fix them and that is somewhat useful..

I hope you get along with this..

/Henrik
dBug

Re: Newbie

Postby dBug » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:34 am

How to get shaded view(s)? I right-clicked on the modeling window but nothing to find...

See my previous post.

I dont want to use Shift + Z to zoom - why not just Z ? And are there other Zoom alternatives? Zoom Selected?

X,Y and Z key locks the corresponding axis when scaling etc.
(See the icons in top toolbar)

And one more question... Selections - Groups - I am told to click the Add selection button to get a new selection - but I cannot find that button - no shortcut to do it?

Select the object and then press the Selection item in the tree at right pane, then the button appears below the tree.

/Henrik
dBug

Postby nine » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:08 am

Thanks for your help - dBug!

What do you think of my suggestion to use free WINK - http://www.debugmode.com/wink/ - to make tutorials to share?
Perhaps we can have a Tutorial Forum uploading tutorials to share?

Test WINK and tell me what you think!

And one more question - is it possible to change the shortcuts?
I DO NOT LIKE TO USE - SHIFT+A, SHIFT+Z .... I want to have my own shortcuts... but I have not found any possibility to change the shortcuts... it can not be so hard to implement I believe... or perhaps you can already do it in an easy way?
nine

Postby dBug » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:29 pm

There is no functionality in the gui to modify hotkeys afaik...

I will try Wink ...
dBug

Postby sascha » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:55 pm

Hi,

nine, I think dBug already answered most of your questions (thanks dBug). Just a few comments:

JRE...
Any JRE >=1.4 should be fine. Early 1.5 (aka 5.0) versions had some bugs, but the latest one (1.5.0_04) should be fine as well. The only thing to take care of is to download the standard edition (J2SE) and not the enterprise edition (J2EE - this one is meant to run e.g. on web-servers). Whether you download the Windows online- or offline installation version really doesn't matter.

I am told that Shift + Z will Zoom - but I do not get any Zoom icon - perhaps not implemented...
You won't get a zoom icon. Pressing SHIFT+Z has exactly the same effect as clicking on the zoom view icon.
Zoom Selected?
Have you tried the Zoom-To-Fit icon (right next to the Zoom icon)?
The shortcuts - am I able to change them?
Not yet, but it's on my todo list. You'll be able to change the zoom to Z (witout SHIFT) and add multiple points to A (without SHIFT) then :wink:

dBug,
I have created an sample scene for previewing my objects that includes the model.inc
The 0.4 preview version includes an early version of the "Animator" which can also be used to set up scenes and invoke the renderer from within the GUI.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby nine » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:29 pm

Thanks for the reply - Sascha!
I can understand that you have a lot on your todo-list but giving us the chance to change shortcuts is perhaps not so much work - and the program have improved a lot - making it so much faster to model.

And I hope you will make it possible to make shortcuts to every command,
Now if you eg. want to have shaded patches you have to right click and choose show and then choose patches... That is three clicks... And not to have patches shaded - you have to do the same thing again - three clicks - that makes it very slow to model!!!
Better let everyone decide a shortcut for that - toogling between shaded patches or not...
Is it hard to implement? A day and a nigth?
:?:
Zoom Selected - is perhaps more work to do... but Animation Master has it and I think it is really good.

And another good thing in Animation Master is that you can select a point and when Rotate or Turn as the A:M folks say the modeling window around the selected point - I believe in JPatch you only have the chance to turn the modeling window around the Origo... OK! That is also perhaps a lot of work...
But the shortcuts cannot be so much work, or???
And thanks for your efforts to make a free spline modeller... I am waiting on bones... hoping it will be possible to make some lipsync with it.... because to me lipsynced animations is the only alternative... or it is like Donald Duck without beak sync... or a telly without sound... that is sh-t!

You have got sound in JPatch and this syncing modul.... that is good... just the mouth bones and JPatch will be perfect for everyone wanting to tell something on the Internet... and hopefully a Dictionary to the lipsyncing modul...

That I believe will be a good alternative for many and the ones having had a chance to test it with JPatch will then perhaps buy Animation Master... getting a bit cloth and a lot of other goodies... reusable Actions...
The A:M people will not have a demo version - JPatch can be the demo-version... I hope they will send you a big bag with gold understanding how good your work is for them...
:?
Just another tips on a wish list... have you had a look on AXEL from
http://www.mindavenue.com
that is rendering in Real-Time with programming for interactions - but they AXEL have no lip-sync... or bad lipsync using JavaScript... But still AXEL is cool - I think!
To me lipsync is the thing - that is why I have began with AM and now having a look on JPatch... Hoping on everyone soon(10 years?) will be able to use Internet with lipsynced animations letting everyone become a Disney having Internet as a democratic forum... for six billions - the world population today...
:shock:
nine

Postby sascha » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:06 pm

Zoom Selected - is perhaps more work to do... but Animation Master has it and I think it is really good.

And another good thing in Animation Master is that you can select a point and when Rotate or Turn as the A:M folks say the modeling window around the selected point

Both features are already implemented in JPatch.
Zoom selectd: Use the "Zoom to fit" button in the main toolbar (next to the zoom button).
To rotate the view around a selected point (or around the center of the current selection) use the "lock to selection" option from the popup menu. When it's activated (the little lock-symbol is displayed in the upper right corner of the viewport), you can use the middle mousebutton or the rotate mode to rotate around the center of the selection.

I'm no A:M user, but if you let me know how these features are called in A:M I can use the same nomenclature (and keyboard shortcuts) in JPatch.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby nine » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:48 am

Why not become an A:M Forum Member?
And you can have access to the information.

Here you can study the shortcuts:
http://www.angelfire.com/mo3/pengwin/3dtut1.html

Uploading WINK tutorials - what do you say?
Perhaps you have replied to it on some other topic - but if not - what do you say about having some WINK tutorials together with the WIKI?

Just showing an image.... from an url

but I think it would be much better if we could upload images - wanting some help on a certain problem - an image says more than 1000 words - an image can describe the problem - if you want some help - so why not make it possible to upload images to all the Forums?

Perhaps this will function???

No - does not seems to function... missed something????
nine

Postby sascha » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:01 am

Right now you can upload only images - either directly to the Wiki, or to the JPatch web-server (if you like to use it in the forum). You can use the "upload images" link on the homepage after you've logged in.
I'll change that to allow other binary formats as well, For now just send it to me via email.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby nine » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:18 am

Just a tips!
Here:
http://www.0nyx.com/index.html

You can get 100 MegaByte withou ads!

Here is an example:
http://www.jpatch.0nyx.com/

Well - it´s having an ad...
Having an ad for JPatch - the only 3D program you need!
:D
PS
Hope I will do a free WINK - http://www.debugmode.com/wink/ - tutorial on JPatch soon and upload... for everyone to see...
nine

Return to Support / Help