I just downloaded jpatch -- what now?

User support for JPatch

I just downloaded jpatch -- what now?

Postby zarkoff » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:32 am

What do I do with a .jar file?

I just downloaded the .zip file and uncompressed it. I now have a jpatch file with nothing that runs a program. I'm using Windows XP.

there's something in the jpatch file called jpatch.jar but double clicking it asks me what program wants to run it and I have no answer.
zarkoff

Postby dcuny » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:49 am

You need a copy of Java installed on your machine. Sun makes Java, and due to a dispute between Sun and Microsoft, no longer automatically includes Java with Windows.

Check out the JPatch Reference. The Software section has a link to where you can get a free copy of Java, and the Installing and starting JPatch section describes how to start it.
dcuny

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:45 pm

dcuny wrote:You need a copy of Java installed on your machine. Sun makes Java, and due to a dispute between Sun and Microsoft, no longer automatically includes Java with Windows.

Check out the JPatch Reference. The Software section has a link to where you can get a free copy of Java, and the Installing and starting JPatch section describes how to start it.

Thanks -- had a momentary lapse of common sense there -- the file doc actually had a link. Got my Java whatever up and running and jpatch looks good.

Anyone know any good tutorial sites? Step-by-step kind?

Other questions that come to my mind:

I'm an old fashioned artist, like to work with pen and pencil more than a mouse and keyboard -- is there anyway to replace the background with a picture?

Postby sascha » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:20 pm

Anyone know any good tutorial sites? Step-by-step kind?

Here are all currently available tutorials and documents for JPatch. That's not much, I know, but I'm working on the documentation and add new tutorials from time to time.
You can also google for Animation:Master, hamaPatch or sPatch tutorials, some of them should be applicable to JPatch.
If you've got further questions, feel free to ask them, that's exactly the purpose of this forum :)

I'm an old fashioned artist, like to work with pen and pencil more than a mouse and keyboard -- is there anyway to replace the background with a picture?

Yes, you can use the rotoscope feature: In the popup menu (right mousebutton over a viewport) use rotoscope->set image. The image can be scaled and positioned using the rotoscope tool in the mesh-toolbar (on the left side, just below the magnet icon). TIP: Don't use extremely large images (such us high res shots made with a digital camera or 600dpi scans,...). If the image is larger than say 1000x1000 pixel, use an image manipulation program such us Photoshop, the Gimp, irfanView, etc. to scale it down. The image formats JPatch supports is OS dependent, but PNG and JPG should be available on all platforms.
sascha
Site Admin

Return to Support / Help