tangents

User support for JPatch

tangents

Postby Darti » Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:03 pm

Sorry to ask dumb questions, I've just discovered JPatch.

I can just scale tangents. Is there a way to rotate them?
Is it possible to edit separatly right and left tangents?
Darti

Postby sascha » Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:35 pm

Hello Darti,

I can just scale tangents. Is there a way to rotate them?

Currently there's no way to rotate the tangents. The reason for that is that I've made JPatch with animation in mind - controlpoints can be moved by morphs or bones - thus the tangents must be fully determined by the position of the controlpoints.
It's easy to scale the tangents, but it's impossible to rotate them because JPatch can't determine the rotation-axis. I know that there are those alpha and gamma angles in A:M. I've even implemented it into JPatch, but deactivated it because it did not work as expected - once you move a controlpoint the axis of rotation changes in oncontrolled ways - the same happend when I tried it in A:M as well.
You can switch between peak and round modes (and even between sPatch and JPatch mode - Maybe I add a fully A:M compatible "round" mode too), and you can modify the tangents magnitude. If you need to change the direction the workaround would be to use more controlpoints...

Is it possible to edit separatly right and left tangents?

It's supported in the code, but not by the user interface. I'll add that in a future version...

--Sascha
sascha
Site Admin

Return to Support / Help