Inserting points into spline

User support for JPatch

Inserting points into spline

Postby Torf » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:15 pm

First user struggling with some basic problems over here :D

Is there a way to insert a control point into an already defined spline? I keep running into situations where I'd need to do this often. Couldn't find anything in the docs, though.

One word about the docs: I know that all this is done in spare time and I really appreciate the work you put into this piece of software. But the docs are not too good, IMHO. First of all there are like 5 different help files on the web page, but IMO it would be better to have one clearly structured one. Another point is that sometimes the docs tell me to little to achieve a certain goal. For example the "how to avoid creases"-tutorial tells me to "change the spline", i.e. change the control point it goes through. How is this done?

One real compliment for jpatch: It's the first editor which has a strong chance of making me give up my "all CSG"-attitude :D
Torf

Postby dcuny » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:20 pm

Yes, you can do this. It's probably the number one "gotcha" in JPatch, because it's not really intuitive:
  1. Press the Esc key to make sure you are using the Default tool.
  2. Select (by clicking) one of the control points of the spline you want to add a control point to.
  3. Press the Tab key to cycle through the curve segments until the spline becomes highlit in green.
  4. Press the Insert key.
A new control point is inserted into the center of the spline.

Adding a control point to a spline may break other splines that were attached to the ends of that spline, because the spline is now two seperated splines. One item on my "wish list" is to be able to be able to automatically convert hooks into "real" splines, so it would be easier to add in missing splines into a model without breakage occuring.
dcuny

Postby sascha » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:02 am

Hi and welcome over here Torf!

It's probably the number one "gotcha" in JPatch

You're right, but it's also the top item in the F.A.Q. :-)

One word about the docs...

Well, I think you're right. Here are my thoghts about the docs: The reference manual should be what the name implies: a reference. It should cover all tools and their operational modes, all keyboard shortcuts, etc. I recommend reading it (so you get an overview of all features), but its for sure nothing to start with.
The tutorials on the other hand are quite incomplete, I know. I'll keep working on it and hope to have a better documentation available when version 0.4 is ready.

I'll also add menu items in the popup menu for the commands that can be accessed only via the keyboard right now, that are next curve (TAB),insert point (INSERT), delete point (DELETE) and remove point (BACKSPACE).

Another common pitfall which is not yet documented is this:
Imagine you'd like to append a point to the top spline (1) - the spline should extend to the right. When you try this on the top right point, JPatch searches for the first spline-end it can find, and appends to that spline. If it happens that there is more than one spline end, JPatch could choose the wrong one (2), and right now it will choose the same one every time, so it doesn't help to delete or undo and try it again. What you can do is the following: Add another spline (as there is only one spline-end left, it will choose the right one (3). After that, you can delete the unwanted segment (4).

This is also a part of the answer to your question about "changing" a spline. Delete the points or curve segments which are wrong, add new segments and connect them as desired. If it happens that JPatch appends a segment to the "wrong" spline, use the above procedure to force it to append to the desired spline. In case of the "how to avoid creses" tutorial, it's probably easiest to remove (BACKSPACE key!) the points in question.

Keep in mind that JPatch's version number starts with 0 :-)
I'll change a lot until I release version 1.0 (including the docs), and it depends on your feedback how version 1.0 will look like...

One item on my "wish list" is to be able to be able to automatically convert hooks into "real" splines
. The code is already there (it's used by the auto-mirror tool), I'll have to add a key-binding and/or menu-item for it...

Adding a control point to a spline may break other splines that were attached to the ends of that spline, because the spline is now two seperated splines.
I'm not sure if I understand that, but I think this statement is not correct. Inserting a point shouldn't break anything (except patches).
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:01 am

I'm not sure if I understand that, but I think this statement is not correct. Inserting a point shouldn't break anything (except patches).

Oops, yes. I mean patches...

The problem with inserting points is actually a complement to the JPatch interface - it's one of the few things that you can't figure out on your own.
dcuny

Postby sascha » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:41 am

I'll add a knife tool (as in hamaPatch) some day.

I appreaciate every feedback and feature request, and I won't forget it. The top pripority for now is animation, but I'll continue to add more features to the modeler to make it better and more user friendly.

Other things on the to-do list for the modeler are:
* rail and bi-rail extrude (like in maya)
* a copy "wizard" like in A:M (e.g. to be able to take a selection and tell JPatch to create 10 copies, each copy should be translated by <0,1,0> and rotatat by 20 degrees, for example)
sascha
Site Admin

please please please

Postby zmemw16 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:05 pm

please implement this one asap

stephen
zmemw16

Return to Support / Help