ViewMaster Slides

This is a new forum that can be used to discuss anything that's not directly related to JPatch.

ViewMaster Slides

Postby dcuny » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:54 am

Yeah, not really animation related, which is why this is off topic. But it's one of the things that inspired me to play with 3D animation in the first place, so it sort of fits. :P

A while back, I got a number of my favorite reels, a ViewMaster and a projector. I tried taking pictures of the projected images, but they turned out pretty awful. Finally, I figured out I could just take a picture directly into the ViewMaster:

huckleberry_hound.png

It's tricky getting the light right - all the images I thought would be overexposed turned out fine, with the rest being underexposed. It's a good thing I'm able to shoot these things with a digital camera!

The colors are pretty faded on these reels, but the Krita editor has a Color Transfer filter that allows you to apply colors from one image onto another. It does a surprisingly good job restoring the faded colors.

Anyway, when I think of what I'd like a 3D animation to look like, I always think back to the ViewMaster reels I spent so much time looking at as a kid (and Rankin/Bass animations). :)
dcuny

Return to Off topic