Lou Bunin's "Alice in Wonderland"

This is a new forum that can be used to discuss anything that's not directly related to JPatch.

Lou Bunin's "Alice in Wonderland"

Postby dcuny » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:30 am

For my birthday, I got a copy of Lou Bunin's "Alice in Wonderland", a live action/puppet animation film from 1951. I took a look at it last night. The print wasn't that great, the color is pretty awful, the animation's a bit sloppy, and the story is pretty disjointed. Here is an interesting contemporary article talking about this version vs. the Disney version.

Despite the faults, it's got some neat bits in it. I'm always a sucker for puppet animation, and the girls loved it. :P

I found this site which has a lot of screen captures from the film, so I'll just post some of my favorite screen shots:

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

For the most part, the puppets suffer from having static heads, so there's not really any expression to them. But the design of some of the puppets - such as the dodo, lobsters and griffin - are really quite fantastic. The sets are often minimal and surreal. It's a real pity the print is so horrible (the screenshot are representative of the video); the movie must have looked fantastic when it first came out. :(
dcuny

Return to Off topic