Second Edition of "Physically Based Rendering"

This is a new forum that can be used to discuss anything that's not directly related to JPatch.

Second Edition of "Physically Based Rendering"

Postby dcuny » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:16 pm

The pbrt site (Physically Based Rendering) announced that a new version of the book is coming out. pbrt is a C++ raytracer with an accompanying text. It also serves as the basis for LuxRender.

I've got the first edition of the book. It's a bit pricey, but it's probably the best (and most complete) book on raytracing out there. You can find an example chapter (on acceleration structures) here.
dcuny

Re: Second Edition of "Physically Based Rendering"

Postby pndragon » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:50 pm

I looked at the example chapter and it looks interesting but until they give the rest of the book away, that's all I'm going to see of it I'm afraid. My intended Father's Day gift to myself (laptop repair) ended up having to be spent---plus a lot more!---on an A/C that crashed in 90+ degree temperatures.

I have found another use for JPatch, one that sort of surprises me though it shouldn't really. Building simple sprites to for my son to use with Scratch. He is learning to read a kind of programming language before regular English and having a great time. How cool is that?

If you wanted to port Scratch into java that would probably be a great thing...

Jim
"We're so sorry, Uncle Albert,
But we haven't done a bloody thing all day."
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Re: Second Edition of "Physically Based Rendering"

Postby dcuny » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:13 pm

Scratch already has a Java port, sort of. I believe you can create a .jar file of your application and embed it into a web page. 8)

Microsoft has a very simplified programming language called Small Basic that I'd considered writing a Java port of. That is, the port would convert the BASIC code to Java behind the scenes. I found a nice Java text editor with syntax coloring and everything.

But I've got too much other stuff to do at the moment, and Scratch is way more fun than Small Basic.
dcuny

Return to Off topic