My hope for jpatch

This is a new forum that can be used to discuss anything that's not directly related to JPatch.

My hope for jpatch

Postby pndragon » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:48 pm

Here's a fun little piece I just ran across in the course of updating the links on my homeschool group's website: Oxygen. This is the kind of thing that I would like to see Jpatch used for---the spoonful of sugar that helps our kids swallow a whole lot of education.

Jim
"We're so sorry, Uncle Albert,
But we haven't done a bloody thing all day."
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Re: My hope for jpatch

Postby John VanSickle » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:03 pm

At some point I hope that my modeler is good enough that the kids at the local school can use it without too much frustration. Then I will offer it to the art department. This will work better with a private school, because they are always in need of free stuff.

I will sternly warn the students that they must not use it to make fun of the school administration. They will of course do nothing else with it for a while (except maybe to make something even more inappropriate). Then I will have an enthusiastic user base who can supply me with plenty of feedback.
John VanSickle

Postby dcuny » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:18 pm

Very nice - I'd seen it before. Really nice designs, excellent animation and lots of nice touches, like the Pixar-style eyes and the cartoon shading of the spheres (electrons?) that are circling the characters. There's some subtle use of focal blur, too - at 1:20 it's used several times to guide the eye. I suspect it's done here as a post-process, though, which is also something JPatch doesn't support yet.

It's got a ton of effects that JPatch can't do, like all the simulations - the rust "explosions", as well as the fire, smoke, and water. (Did you notice that the water simulation used a thin sphere, and not the character's shapes?)

The credited software includes Maya, Renderman, Shake, Photoshop, Premier, After Effects, Tsunami and Realflow. That's a boatload of software in the pipeline, and it shows! :)
dcuny

Postby John VanSickle » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:00 pm

dcuny wrote:Very nice - I'd seen it before. Really nice designs, excellent animation and lots of nice touches, like the Pixar-style eyes and the cartoon shading of the spheres (electrons?) that are circling the characters.

Yes, those are electrons, specifically, the outermost ones that are involved in chemical reactivity.
John VanSickle

Postby dcuny » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:16 pm

John VanSickle wrote:
dcuny wrote:Yes, those are electrons, specifically, the outermost ones that are involved in chemical reactivity.

Thanks, I figured it was something like that. I sort of expected they'd start interacting, but that raises questions of what to do when the characters are separated, I guess.
dcuny

Return to Off topic