The Mancandy FAQ

This is a new forum that can be used to discuss anything that's not directly related to JPatch.

The Mancandy FAQ

Postby dcuny » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:09 am

After a couple of days of downloading via torrent, I finally got the complete copy of The Mancandy FAQ. It's a detailed discussion of the Mancandy rig that was created for Blender, and how it works. It was released under the Creative Commons license, so it's all legal.

The main part of the FAQ consists of 16 tutorial files. The video directory contains copies of each tutorial file in .ogg and .flv format, so you can save a lot of time by only selecting files in the format you're interested in.

I've only had time to look at a single video on finger rigging, but it looks very informative.
dcuny

Re: The Mancandy FAQ

Postby sascha » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:24 pm

of downloading via torrent [...] so it's all legal

Funny, everybody seems to think that he's got to explain or justify himself once he mentioned Bittorrent.
Seems like the RIAA and MPAA did a fine job in intimidating all Internet users :(
The main part of the FAQ consists of 16 tutorial files...

I'll have a look at it (if my provider didn't start blocking torrent in the meantime.)
Thanks for posting this!
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:09 am

I wasn't justifying using Bittorrent, I was referring to the licensing of the content. Even though Blender Foundation DVDs are for sale at the Blender e-Store, they are also licensed under Creative Commons so they can be copied freely. Very nice. :)

I didn't get any further with the videos, because my kids were finishing off the much anticipated the season finale of Tales of Monkey Island. They finally finished up at 12:45 PM, so they're off to sleep now.

Importing and setting up the Mancandy rig is a bit arcane, but I think various bits (like layers) have been made simpler in the latest release of Blender. The legs are IK, and the arms FK, although they can be switched to IK. There are morphs for the face. It all looks like the sort of stuff we've already discussed for JPatch many times already.

I need to get some sleep...
dcuny

Postby dcuny » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:52 am

I watched through the first half of the leg rigging videos. He sets up a fairly typical foot (I believe it's a reverse foot setup), which ends up using a bunch of extra bones with constraints, and finally hiding the mess and only making the control bones visible. I can easily buy into the need to have layers to hide visibility of objects.

I also downloaded Learn Character Animation Using Blender, but a number of videos seem to be missing from it. The material that I've seem looks a lot like what I've already seen in Learning 3D Character Animation with Jeff Lew, so that's a bit disappointing.

Adding assets into Blender is a bit confusing, and it would be helpful if JPatch had a similar (but less confusing) system for dealing with files with multiple assets.
dcuny

Return to Off topic