Blender 2.5

This is a new forum that can be used to discuss anything that's not directly related to JPatch.

Blender 2.5

Postby dcuny » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:49 am

Blender 2.5 (release 0) has come out. I've played with it a bit, and although it's still pretty buggy, there have been a lot of improvements with the UI. They've also been working on the renderer quite a bit. Very cool stuff.
dcuny

Re: Blender 2.5

Postby rjh » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:10 am

Hey Dave,

Yeh, I saw this the other day and downloaded the 2.5 Alpha 0. I want to see what they've done to improve work-flow and the UI experience. That's the one thing (UI) that kept me from using the app. With the output I've seen lately, and their re-work of the UI and work-flow, Blender seems to be positioning itself for a larger spot in the mainstream. Let me know what you think once you've tried it enough to tell how / if the improvements will be a benefit. I'll try and set time aside to experiment with it soon. Currently still wrapping my head around Softimage 7.01 / ICE / and the whole Softimage scene ... real powerful app Softimage. Oh, and I'm still working through projects in Jpatch that I've invested too much time and effort to abandon. Besides, I absolutely love the spline / morph animation / BMRT pipeline I've developed. Am also experimenting with other Renderman solutions as well.

Rob
rjh

Re: Blender 2.5

Postby dcuny » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:05 am

There's no question that the new UI is a huge improvement. There's also been a lot of work on the look and feel, so it's a lot slicker. But it's still Blender, and (more problematically) it's very much an alpha release. Every time I poke around, I seem to break something else. So I'll hold off trying anything for the moment. :?
dcuny

Return to Off topic