Blender in Java

This is a new forum that can be used to discuss anything that's not directly related to JPatch.

Blender in Java

Postby dcuny » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:56 am

There's someone who's doing a port of Blender to Java. Most folk on the Blender Forum seem to be horrified by this idea.

Blender has great support for SDS and some very nice animation features. Having a "renderer only" version of Blender that could be called from JPatch would be spiff. :)
dcuny

Re: Blender in Java

Postby sascha » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:41 am

Well, Blender is under active development, so the effort seems futile (he won't be able to keep the Java version in sync with the original one.)
And I seriously doubt that this can convince the Blender folks to switch over to Java.

The future belongs to JPatch anyway :wink:

While I prefer Java over C/C++, I must also say that using OpenGL from Java is awkward, since you can't pass Java arrays to C but have to take the detour via ByteBuffers. That said, JOGL is still cool, they've recently upgraded it to support GL 3.0, and the speed is absolutely acceptable (I think it comes very close to using GL natively.)
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:16 pm

I still think the core renderer from Blender would be nice to have. It's optimized for animation, and has lots of nice features.
dcuny

Postby sascha » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:31 pm

I agree :)
sascha
Site Admin

Postby pndragon » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:07 pm

Blender would be a great tool if anyone could use it.

IMHO to keep a hard-to-use GUI just to be different from everyone else is foolish. They could have rebuilt their GUI at any time, and considering the number of complaints about the steep learning curve for this tool you would think that they would. They have instead taken the same position that I am trying to break my son out of: "My game, my rules. If you don't like it don't play." I don't appreciate that attitude in a 7-year-old. It is really ugly in adults.

In a related side issue, it is not a big secret that I am not really looking forward to Jpatch's change to SDS. A big part of that is related to the increased learning curved that I have personally found in SDS. But I also know from past experience that Sascha will listen to users and take what they say into consideration and make that transition as painless as possible.

--- Jim
"We're so sorry, Uncle Albert,
But we haven't done a bloody thing all day."
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Postby dcuny » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:07 am

pndragon wrote:IMHO to keep a hard-to-use GUI just to be different from everyone else is foolish.

Have you been following Blender recently? They're in the process of completely overhauling the GUI.

In a related side issue, it is not a big secret that I am not really looking forward to Jpatch's change to SDS.

You aren't the only one. :D
dcuny

Postby pndragon » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:11 am

Have you been following Blender recently? They're in the process of completely overhauling the GUI.

How recently? Not within the last 3 months or so. They make me tired. If they actually produce a more usable GUI, I'll give it a try but I won't hold my breath. They've made that promise before and only added levels of complication.

--- Jim
"We're so sorry, Uncle Albert,
But we haven't done a bloody thing all day."
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Postby dcuny » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:30 pm

pndragon wrote:How recently? Not within the last 3 months or so.

:| There are currently two branches of Blender. While the old 2.4 branch is being maintained, a huge amount of work has gone into rewriting the UI in 2.5. You can details here.

But it's still Blender, and I think the JPatch approach - focusing on character animation rather than general features - is a better approach. Blender is still an insanely feature-rich application, and you can't (and don't want to) hide that.
dcuny

Return to Off topic