Crowdsourcing

This is a new forum that can be used to discuss anything that's not directly related to JPatch.

Crowdsourcing

Postby sascha » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:09 am

This looks much more like the kind of "open movie" project I have in mind than the ones done by the Blender foundation. On the other hand, it's commercial (animators whose work is chosen get paid $500) - so it seems to create competition instead of collaboration among the participating artists.
I think the world's still waiting for a "real" open movie project ;-)

Anyway, it's still interesting how they do it (which software is used, how do they maintain a consistent style, etc.), I gotta read more about this.
sascha
Site Admin

Re: Crowdsourcing

Postby dcuny » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:58 pm

One that I ran across the other day is Star Wars: Uncut, where each volunteer gets 15 seconds of the original film to recreate in whatever style they want - live, Lego, puppets, animated, etc.

Of course, you run into copyright issues because it's based on a copyright work. And they style (by intent) is inconsistent, relying on people knowing the film in the first place.

Still, it looks to be an interesting idea.

The folk at Hash are making another Oz film, which seems a better idea. But they're also commercially funded, and using commercial software. Then again, Tin Woodman of Oz was 70 minutes long, which is quite a bit larger than Blender's project.
dcuny

Re: Crowdsourcing

Postby sascha » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:28 pm

which is quite a bit larger than Blender's project

For me, to count as an "open movie", it has to meet three criteria:
1. The software used must be free (both gratis and open source). Being "open", but otherwise forcing the participants to buy expensive proprietary software is a contradiction.
2. The process of creating the movie must be open - everybody should be able to make contributions to the work (which of course could be rejected by the "community", but this process should be "open" too), based on how community-driven open-source software development works.
3. The end product must be "open", i.e. the movie itself and every model, shader, script, etc. used to create it should be "open" (e.g. under a creative commons license). Selling the movie later would lead to an immense problem: how should the revenue be divided among the potentially thousands of individuals who participated in the creation of the work?

Most commercially driven projects fail to meet points 1 and 3, while the Blender founded projects (of all things!) failed at point 2 (which is a shame, because both films would have benefited from some community feedback.)

This concept won't work for live action films with real actors, but should be practicable for animations (especially computer generated). I don't think that it's limited to animations though, certain documentaries for example could be produced that way too.

Of course, you run into copyright issues because it's based on a copyright work

It would be a derivate (I guess), and it's very unfortunate that derivative works are subject to copyright law as well. You should be allowed to "base" something on a commercial work, especially if that work had a major influence on popular culture, and especially if your own work is non-commercial.
The situation is comparable with copyright-law and patents in software development. While it should be clear that stealing someone else's (copyrighted) code is wrong, just using a (patented) "idea" and developing ones own code around it must be allowed. I'm not sure if patents in general are a good or a bad thing, but at least in software development they do more harm than good.
The same is (IMHO) true for music or films: Selling illegal copies of films or music is certainly wrong, but doing a cover version of a song or a parody of a movie should always be allowed and not covered by copyright law - just my two cents.
sascha
Site Admin

Return to Off topic