Partly Cloudy

This is a new forum that can be used to discuss anything that's not directly related to JPatch.

Partly Cloudy

Postby dcuny » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:26 pm

A link to Pixar's short "Partly Cloudy" (which is showing with "Up") is at the Cartoon Brew website. I found it a bit weak, but my wife loved everything about it. Watching it at the theater, with other people, is really the best way to see it - a ripped off video from a Russian YouTube wannabe isn't quite the same. :|
dcuny

Re: Partly Cloudy

Postby John VanSickle » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:07 pm

The interesting part is that it continues Pixar's apparent effort to do shorts with no dialogue; except for Boundin', I don't recall any words spoken in any Pixar short. And yet each short can get more laughs than a typical piece of Dreamworks animation of the same length.
John VanSickle

Postby dcuny » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:21 pm

A couple other acknowledged purposes of the shorts:

• Test new technology, such as (in this short) a "make cloudy" function that envelops a model with a cloud texture.
  • Act as a training grounds for new directors. For example, rumor has it that Bud Luckey (director of Boundin') may be developing a Pixar film due out in 2013.
Although shorts typically require the creation of a lot of new resources, it's interesting to see what they reuse. In Partly Cloudy, the woman in the house appears to be Elastigirl from The Incredibles. A lot of the characters - clouds, storks, puppies and kittens - seem to be used multiple times in the short.

Not that it's a bad thing - it just highlights that even Pixar deals with some very real economic realities.

I think the shorts allow them to play with other styles as well. The feel and theme of this hearkens back to the sort of thing you'd see in very early cartoons.
dcuny

Postby sascha » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:41 am

except for Boundin', I don't recall any words spoken in any Pixar short

You're right, as far as the theatrical releases are concerned. There are a lot of "direct to video" shorts though which have a dialog, like Jack-Jack-Attack (I think), Mike's new car and Mater and the ghostlight (on the Incredibles, Monsters and Cars DVDs.)

I prefer shorts without dialogs though, usually the animation is (or rather has to be) great and the characters are more expressive.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby pndragon » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:47 am

I don't recall any words spoken in any Pixar short

This is might be a kind of economics also---no dialog means that a theatrical short will not have to be dubbed or captioned for each separate audience.

--- Jim
"We're so sorry, Uncle Albert,
But we haven't done a bloody thing all day."
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Postby John VanSickle » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:04 pm

pndragon wrote:This is might be a kind of economics also---no dialog means that a theatrical short will not have to be dubbed or captioned for each separate audience.

And therefore increases the availability. During the early nineties I was spending a night in a hotel in Akureyri, Iceland. Iceland had two TV channels at the time. One of them was broadcasting Roadrunner cartoons. There is very little verbal content in them (usually the packaging on Acme products), so the effort carries over well.
John VanSickle

Postby sascha » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:18 am

I think that some languages (e.g. the Scandinavian languages) are spoken by too few people to make dubbing movies financially rewarding. The positive side effects are:
1) the people there speak English perfectly, and they learn it without much effort - they just have to watch TV
2) they usually have a healthy local film industry that produces surprisingly good movies (which never get dubbed either) ;-)
sascha
Site Admin

Postby pndragon » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:25 pm

they usually have a healthy local film industry
The most expensive, and one of the most globally popular children's TV programs in world, LazyTown, is produced in Iceland at a cost of approx. USD$1,000,000 per episode. When and if the next version of JPatch is done (hint, hint!!!) since we all have children, perhaps we could aim for fun, educational-type cartoon?

--- Jim
"We're so sorry, Uncle Albert,
But we haven't done a bloody thing all day."
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Postby sascha » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:11 pm

When and if the next version of JPatch is done (hint, hint!!!)...

The correct conjunction is when, not if, (hint, hint!!!) ;-)
I should have a little more spare-time soon (Noah will join Kindergarten next month, but I'm still on part-time.)

...since we all have children, perhaps we could aim for fun, educational-type cartoon?

Talking about educational-type cartoons, I recently stumbled across Dora the explorer, and the kids love it. 2D animations are a lot easier to create, and (from the developer perspective) dealing with 2D is orders of magnitudes simpler than 3D. So two thoughts crossed my mind:
a) It would be nice to be able to create simple 2D animations. They could be used for storyboarding/pre-viz or as stand-alone 2D movies.
b) It could serve as a test-bed for JPatch features. Most UI components would look and work the same (e.g. a motion-curve editor, etc.) - so the same code could be used in a 2D and a 3D animation tool, while other things are <font color=red><blink>so much simpler</blink></font> to implement in 2D (like IK) that we could play with some more sophisticated features in the 2D version before I start the tedious job of implementing them in 3D.

Right now the animation features of JPatch are rather limited, both versions (the patch and the SDS based) support modeling (more and less respectively) but animation supported is rudimentary. So, we could test the UI components and animation workflow with a "simple" 2D animation tool (to find out what's working and what's not) and later use them in the full 3D environment.

Just a thought (and yes, I know that I should focus on the 3D version of JPatch, not on video-editors and 2D tools - I'm just looking at the big picture here ;-))
sascha
Site Admin

Postby John VanSickle » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:53 pm

sascha wrote:I think that some languages (e.g. the Scandinavian languages) are spoken by too few people to make dubbing movies financially rewarding. The positive side effects are:
1) the people there speak English perfectly, and they learn it without much effort - they just have to watch TV
2) they usually have a healthy local film industry that produces surprisingly good movies (which never get dubbed either) ;-)

I was stationed in Iceland from Sept '92 to Sept '94. At the time, Iceland had two broadcast television stations. Neither of them broadcast anything prior to five in the evening. Then it was news, and then shows that were either native or subtitled (The Simpsons was one such show; the Icelandic word for "gay man" is hommi).

This probably had a bit to do with Iceland's exceptionally high literacy rate.
John VanSickle

Return to Off topic