TrueSpace Discontinued?

This is a new forum that can be used to discuss anything that's not directly related to JPatch.

TrueSpace Discontinued?

Postby dcuny » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:08 pm

Microsoft acquired Caligari last year and released trueSpace7.6 for free (as in beer). Ever wonder how they could afford to do that?

Apparently, they can't. Based on this, it looks like they're dropping phone and email support, and may be shutting down the website as well.

It's always a bit sad to see a product die, especially when you know people have poured their lifeblood into it... :cry:
dcuny

Re: TrueSpace Discontinued?

Postby sascha » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:20 pm

:evil: AARRHH, eat flaming death, Microsoft #%$§&...

Yet another proof of my simplified black/white view of the software world:
Free and open source software -> good
Proprietary software (and especially Microsoft) -> evil

especially when you know people have poured their lifeblood into it

That's only one side of the problem, there are also several people who actually bought the software, spent years learning how to use it, and now won't get any support, let alone upgrades (I once bought Caligary 24 for the Amiga - my first steps into the 3D world, long before POV-Ray.)
Way to go Microsoft! But don't worry, a Vista rehash and an iPhone killer later they'll be history.
sascha
Site Admin

Re: TrueSpace Discontinued?

Postby rjh » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:53 pm

Sad indeed. Truespace was also my first step into the 3D animation world (got the first PC version ... $500 ... ran on my 486dx4 33 w/ 16MB RAM !). Their site seems to still be available ... too bad they can hear the death knolls though. I'll miss Truespace.

Rob
rjh

Return to Off topic