Another Oz Film from the Animation:Master Community

This is a new forum that can be used to discuss anything that's not directly related to JPatch.

Another Oz Film from the Animation:Master Community

Postby dcuny » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:32 am

You can see some of The Scarecrow of Oz here.

It's pretty much the same as the prior Oz film they made, with the same sets of strengths and weaknesses. For example, I consider the dialog - although faithful to the original books - stilted and wooden. The voice acting is uneven, and parts of the story - such as the "bumpy man' - seem unnecessary.

Some of the animation is quite good, but much of it is just passable. There are two main problems: facial animation, and handling weight. For example, in Act 1, Sequence 2, the movement of the Tin Woodman are smoothly interpolated, with very little feeling of weight. The voice of the Tin Servant (the queen) comes across as annoying, and not really emoting the lines.

The walking (Act 2, Sequence 7) looks cheap and looped, and shows the problem of using mechanical walk cycles.

On the other hand, the animation of the Ork is quite good, as well as the voice acting (for the most part). The Pon character has a real Bil Baird flavor to the him (in a good way).

And I've got to think that the time and resource constraints to get this done in the first place have got to be completely insane. :shock: The fact that they can pull this off at all is pretty impressive.
dcuny

Re: Another Oz Film from the Animation:Master Community

Postby sascha » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:37 am

Oops, I didn't know that they've finished their first project already. :oops: Time flies...
sascha
Site Admin

Return to Off topic