Naming a Music Program

This is a new forum that can be used to discuss anything that's not directly related to JPatch.

Naming a Music Program

Postby dcuny » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:07 pm

OK, this is completely off-topic. I've been working on a music notation program that's sort of a cross between Noteworthy Composer and Band in a Box. It's a sort of composer's assistant, (in theory) able to convert a musical sketch into a full score.

In addition to being able to enter music in into the program by typing (I hate using the mouse for this!), you can apply arrangement styles to melodic lines. For example, you could select "Glen Miller" and get a 5 part open/close block arrangement of the line for clarinet/alto/alto/tenor/tenor. It analyzes the music using the harmony to determine which notes are "approach" (non-harmonic) tones, and allows the user to select what sort of harmonies to use (diatonic chords, diminshed chords, etc.). It can also generate "harmonic pads" of smoothly voiced chords, and even counter melodies. (But who wants to listen to a computer-generated counter melody?)

That's the (relatively) easy part. Writing a front end that displays the music is much less fun. I thought I'd be able to use abc4j to handle the presentation layer, but it doesn't handle polyphony well, and the display of chords is a bit lacking.

I'd attempted to write something like this before, but given up because of difficulty working with Windows MIDI and fonts. This time around I'm writing it in Java, and using the Gervill library to handle the MIDI interface. I'm using the Lilypond font for rendering.

But the real difficulty is finding a name for the project. :(

I'd initially through of calling the program Score, but that name's already taken at Sourceforge. I used Underscore, but it turns out that's also taken, and it's not eligible for takeover despite the project never releasing any files.

I thought Presto would be a good name, but that's taken as well. I requested a project takeover, but Sourceforge informs me that the project takeover software is currently broken, so I should pick another name. :roll:

I think Presto is probably a good name as any, and I could pick a project name variant such as prestomusic or prestocomposer, but I'm concerned that people might search for it as presto, end up on the wrong page, and decide the project was dead.

My standard fallback is to use the name of a California county. Sonoma, Tehema and Tulare all seem possible candiates. I'd also thought of gamut, since it refers to the solfege syllables, but that's also the name of an empty Sourceforge project. arrange is similarly taken, but orchestrate is not.

Any thoughts? It would be nice if the name reflected what the software was capable of (orchestration and arranging). It's not really aimed at notation - the current plan is to support something like LilyPond and possibly MusicXML. The "native" file format is a subset of nwctxt, Noteworthy Composer's "generic" export format.

At the moment, prestomusic is still the top candidate.
dcuny

Re: Naming a Music Programsugestion try

Postby herbiekun » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:33 pm

Just a quick suggestion, try the name Dbluesy. Its not being used by another music program,double check this.though
Names that were being used were Mimuse.Amuse,Bmuse and Dmuse.
Took the last one and changed muse for the adjective bluesy.So its D(cunys) bluesy muse.
herbiekun

Re: Naming a Music Program

Postby dcuny » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:03 am

Cute name, but unfortunately, not appropriate. There's not support for bending notes, microtones, or even guitar tablature. :|

I'd also considered Ravel and Debussy. Both are unused on Sourceforge. Ravel is the name of a C-like MIDI programming language, but I don't think it was ever released commercially, and I doubt it still exists. But I'm not thrilled with either of those. :(
dcuny

Postby pndragon » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:35 am

At the moment, prestomusic is still the top candidate.

prestodigitalization?
"We're so sorry, Uncle Albert,
But we haven't done a bloody thing all day."
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Postby dcuny » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:57 pm

pndragon wrote:prestodigitalization?

*groan* :wink:
dcuny

Postby pndragon » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:54 pm

*shrug*
"We're so sorry, Uncle Albert,
But we haven't done a bloody thing all day."
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Postby John VanSickle » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:39 pm

Moovment
Harmunny
SheetCheat
SoundOn
Toonafish
Recomposer

I haven't checked any of these for prior use, just typing what comes to mind.
John VanSickle

Postby dcuny » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:21 am

John VanSickle wrote:Toonafish

Actually, I had a project called TunaFish on Sourceforge. It was my attempt at pitch correction software. Hrm... Looking at the web page, I see I forgot to provide a link to the download. Someone else took over the project after they fixed a bunch of bugs (mostly to do with sample resolution) and converted it to C++.

I think I'll go with the project prestomusic, after all, although I'll just probably just call the program Presto. :|
dcuny

Postby dcuny » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:08 pm

I've decided to call the project prestomusic, and the application Presto.

As a side project, I started coding up a music editor in JavaScript using the Canvas tag. If you're using FireFox, Safari or another browser that supports the Canvas tag, you can try it out here. The navigation (left and right) is pretty broken, but the rest of it works pretty well. It's still lacking a lot of little details, like ledger lines, and auto-beaming doesn't pay attention to barlines yet.

I'm hitting the limits of what I can accomplish with "pure" JavaScript - for example, I'd gotten sound to play back when the notes are moved, but it only seems to work on FireFox + Vista.

I've figured out how to get JavaScript to send a file back to the user, so (in theory) it's possible to send the results of the user's edits back to them. However, I'm not sure if it's possible to have JavaScript perform some sort of "Open File". Does anyone know if this can be done? The best solution I've got so far is to have the user paste code into a textbox, which is really inconvenient. :(

If I can't get some sort of file saving to work, there's not a whole lot of point continuing using JavaScript - I'll just port it to Java. :?
dcuny

Postby sascha » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:28 pm

If you're using FireFox, Safari or another browser that supports the Canvas tag, you can try it out here.

Nice :-)
sascha
Site Admin

Return to Off topic