How The Grinch Stole Christmas

This is a new forum that can be used to discuss anything that's not directly related to JPatch.

How The Grinch Stole Christmas

Postby sascha » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:44 pm

I've just got this DVD (it contains the 1960's Horton Hears A Who and How The Grinch Stole Christmas TV-Specials, together with some bonus material). It's quite cute, and Nadja loves it.
The songs are nice, and the Grinch is narrated by Boris Karloff. It's been animated by Chuck Jones, and the animation is very nice (although I've spotted a lot of cycles, but I think that's OK for a TV Special).
And watching the Grinch reminded me that I still haven't seen Nightmare Before Christmas :shock:
sascha
Site Admin

Re: How The Grinch Stole Christmas

Postby pndragon » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:21 pm

Forget the kids! This is one of my favorites and I make my children watch it with me (and I don't wait for Christmas). Mr. Karloff had such a great voice!!! It just sucks you right in. Vincent Price was another actor who could tell a tale with just a tone of voice. I can't really think of anyone in our generation with that kind of ability, they are all older men and they are dying out fast.
"We're so sorry, Uncle Albert,
But we haven't done a bloody thing all day."
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Re: How The Grinch Stole Christmas

Postby sascha » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:02 am

Mr. Karloff had such a great voice!!!

Agreed!
On the DVD bonus they tell that the songs ("You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch...") have been performed by Thurl Ravenscroft though, not by Karloff - but they forgot to mention him in the credits.

Another voice I love is that of Wallace (...and Gromit), voiced by Peter Sallis - not as a narrator maybe, it just fits the character so well, or perhaps it actually adds to the character. But he's not the youngest too :?
sascha
Site Admin

Return to Off topic