Linux installation guide

The JPatch Documentation Project has been launched in the Wiki. It's aim is to create a complete, in-depth documentation for JPatch. This forum should be used for discussion related to JPatch's documentation.

Linux installation guide

Postby sascha » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:03 pm

Just a note:

Not all Linux systems can start .jar files by simply calling them. It must be supported by the kernel and has to be configured (don't know exactly how).
"Normally" you have to start it with "java -jar <jarfile>" - which has the advantage that you can specify other options, like heap-size, etc.

I'd like to have a look at some (free) deployment tools (there are some java2exe tools for Windows - there are also tools that generate Windows installer files). I'm not sure about the Installation on Linux, but I guess the average Linux user will be used to untar/zipping files and to using the shell.

What could be important for Linux users is how to install Java, and how to run multiple Sun JRE's and possibly GCJ in parallel - I'll write something about that
sascha
Site Admin

Re: Linux installation guide

Postby Torf » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:55 pm

sascha wrote:Not all Linux systems can start .jar files by simply calling them. It must be supported by the kernel and has to be configured (don't know exactly how).
"Normally" you have to start it with "java -jar <jarfile>" - which has the advantage that you can specify other options, like heap-size, etc.

:shock: OK, I really don't have the slightest idea what I was thinking when writing those lines. I've never started a java app in any other way than doing java -jar .... It's corrected now.

What could be important for Linux users is how to install Java, and how to run multiple Sun JRE's and possibly GCJ in parallel - I'll write something about that

Don't you think that this goes beyond the scope of a normal application documentation? I'd simply link to Sun's docs :wink:
Torf

Postby sascha » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:47 pm

I've never started a java app in any other way than doing java -jar

The funny thing is, it actually would work. See this (quite old) document :)

Quote:

Don't you think that this goes beyond the scope of a normal application documentation? I'd simply link to Sun's docs

Yes and no. While installing a JRE on Windows is trivial (and it also registers the JVM as the default application to run .jre files when doubleclicking them), the situation on Linux is quite different. Sun's Java implementation is not open source, so it is not included with any Linux distribution, nor can it be installed like other typical Linux applications (e.g. by installing Debian or RedHat packages, or with the usual ./configure, make, make install...). The "installer binary" simply extracts the archive to the current folder :( . So IMHO the typical Linux user is not expirenced with Java. To make things more complicated, the GNU Java compiler and Classpath projects have (which is great) reached a state where they've become usable, so the major distributions now contain GCJ (and symlink it to /usr/bin/java). Unfortunately, GCJ can't (yet) run JPatch.
If there is a document at Sun's webpage that deals with all these subjects please let me know. If not, I think a few explanatory notes in the install guide would be appropriate - no problem, I can write them ;-)
sascha
Site Admin

Return to Documentation project