"Minimal" JPatch SDS Page

The JPatch Documentation Project has been launched in the Wiki. It's aim is to create a complete, in-depth documentation for JPatch. This forum should be used for discussion related to JPatch's documentation.

"Minimal" JPatch SDS Page

Postby dcuny » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:23 am

I've added a page for the "minimal" version of JPatch SDS to the Wiki.

Please make corrections, add a timeline, and so on. ;)

Edit: Here's the link.
dcuny

Postby sascha » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:39 am

Thanks, David!

I agree with the feature list. The "even sooner" part might be a bit over-optimistic, but I think that "by the end of 2007" is still realistic - this means a relatively bug-free, usabe version, I should be able to upload working development snapshots earlier though.

I've started to re-implement all the old tools, so far the lasso select works fine, I'm currently re-implementing the rotate tool (in Maya style). It's relatively easy to implement it for manipulating geometry, it will be a bit more tricky to use the same rotate tool for scene-graph nodes (like bones), as they could be constrained and probably have non-uniform scale operations applied. Technically and mathematically this isn't a problem, but I think it will involve some trial and error to figure out which approach is the most user friendly.

I think that if non-unifor scale has been applied (e.g. the object has been compressed to halve it's width by applying scale factors of x=0.5 y=1 z=1) the tools should reflect that scaling too: The rotate tool would, in this case, not look like a sphere, but like an ellipsoid.
Note that this is not some esoteric feature that can wait for later - all tools must work in combination with the scene graph, and since transform nodes allow non-uniform scale, the tools must be able to cope with that at well. I'll have another look at Maya to see how they do it.
sascha
Site Admin

Re:

Postby dcuny » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:22 pm

sascha wrote:I think that if non-uniform scale has been applied (e.g. the object has been compressed to halve it's width by applying scale factors of x=0.5 y=1 z=1) the tools should reflect that scaling too: The rotate tool would, in this case, not look like a sphere, but like an ellipsoid.
Hrm... I'm not sure I'd want it to behave this way. For one thing, it would make using the tool more complex, because you've got different motions based on different scaling.

But more importantly, what benefit is offered by doing this? I can't think of any particular value in having the rotate tool know that I've done scaling.

If you're just trying to make the user aware that the model's been scaled, hopefully they'll see in looking at the model. If it's too subtle to see looking at the model, it'll be too subtle looking at the rotate tool, also.

What I could see as useful would be "ghost" markers to indicate on various tools what the unscaled/unrotated settings would be. That way, I could scale a model up, and then if I wanted to return it to the original settings, I could graphically see where they were.

No... I take that back. The first thing I'm going to do when I pull a character into a scene is scale it to the size proper to the environment. So now the scale tool is always showing that the model has been scaled. But I don't really care, do I? :?

If I really wanted to reset the values, I could either go to the timeline and drag the scale values back, or do it in an edit box. I'm having a lot of trouble imagining how this would be useful. (Now, if I had thought of it, I'd think it was the Best Idea Ever. ;))
dcuny

Re: "Minimal" JPatch SDS Page

Postby sascha » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:43 pm

Thinking about it again, hmm... I think I've been talking nonsense, I'll think it over again ;-)
sascha
Site Admin

Re: "Minimal" JPatch SDS Page

Postby dcuny » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:53 pm

Hehehe. ;)
dcuny

Return to Documentation project