A few questions...

General discussion about JPatch

A few questions...

Postby Tchicho » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:02 pm

Hello world !

First, I'm sorry for my bad english. It's not my native language but I'll try to speak as better as possible.

I have to say Jpatch is a wonderful sotfware. I'm loving it !

I wish Jpatch 0.8 would be released, do you know when it could be happens ? In my mind, I would use Jpatch in order to create animation character's and import it into Blender to renderer or to post-production. Will it be possible ? It would be great to associate those both indredible softwares, isn't it ? Jpatch focus on character (modeling and animation) and Blender on scenes and effects.

I wonder why did you put off the patch modeler ? Do you think SDS modeler could be easier to use ?

I hope to be understand... Sorry for mistakes.

Thank you very much.
Tchicho

Re: A few questions...

Postby sascha » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:11 pm

Hello.
It's not my native language but...

Same here.
I wish Jpatch 0.8 would be released, do you know when it could be happens ?

It's a spare time project, so I can't promise anything. A development version with a more or less fully functional modeler should be available soon, animation capabilities will follow.
I wonder why did you put off the patch modeler?

Well, where should I start? :-)
The first reason was that the internal representation of a patch model (basically some Bézier-spines that could be interconnected in quite messy ways) was very complex and error prone. Especially Animation-Master style "hooks" caused a lot of problems. Allthough an attempt was made to slightly simplify the internal representation, it still was a mess.
The second reason was that most people had problems building proper patch models. There are many things you can do wrong, and it needs a lot of experience to know when to e.g. use 5-sided patches and when to use hooks.
Do you think SDS modeler could be easier to use ?

Yes, definitely. You'll get extrude and late tools that work exactly the same way their patch-modeling counterparts did - so you should be able to adapt quickly. As a bonus, you'll get very powerful box modeling tools.
Finally, SDS are directly supported by many renderers (most notably RenderMan), and they're guaranteed to produce smooth surfaces (patch models, even when done right, always suffered from creases and/or flat-spots on the surface).

Before I "officially" release the SDS version as "development version" (0.7.x) I'll upload a few, not fully functional, development snapshots. These won't be accessible via the download section, I'll only announce them on the forum - mainly for gaining feedback from the regulars on this forum. Monitor this thread.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby Tchicho » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:45 pm

Thank you very much for your such fast answer.

I heard about a 0.6 version, is it possible to DL it ?

Don't you think if you move to a SDS system you would lost the particularity of Jpatch, that is to say a free and open source program like Animation:Master ?

Thank you another time for your answer.
Tchicho

Postby sascha » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:37 pm

No, sorry, the only almost stable version still is 0.4.
The 0.5 development versions brought some nice new features like bones, better animation capabilites and OpenGL support, but never got stable, so there will be no version 0.6 (I've adopted the older Linux Kernel convention where even minor numbers denote stable releases and odd minor numbers are development branches).

The new code is a complete rewrite and is entirely based on subdivision surfaces, although you can import old JPatch patch models and perhaps A:M models in the future.

Don't you think if you move to a SDS system you would lost the particularity of Jpatch

The decision was made, there's no way back.
sascha
Site Admin

Return to General discussion