Sunflow now supports SDS

General discussion about JPatch

Sunflow now supports SDS

Postby dcuny » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:15 am

It looks like Sunflow just added support for subdivision surfaces. Check out this thread for some examples. 8)
dcuny

Re: Sunflow now supports SDS

Postby rjh » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:18 pm

Hey Dave,

Now that looks promising ! Any word on whether Jpatch (the new and improved sds version) will support Sunflow output / rendering ?

Rob
rjh

Postby dcuny » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:30 am

As far as I know, Sascha's been open to supporting Sunflow. I'd like to see it replace Inyo as the native "high-quality" renderer. It would also be nice to see JPatch take advantage of the progressive refinement renderer, but Sascha hasn't quite so enthusiastic about that feature. I suspect he isn't eager to get JPatch tied down to a particular renderer.

I gather that he is eager to have strong Renderman support, so I suspect that he might be interested in this, which appeared on the JrMan development mailing list today:
Gerardo Horvilleur wrote:Right now, the most important new feature we want to work on is subdivision surfaces. When I started to design it I came to the conclusion I first needed to do a major refactoring of how we store the parameters for each primitive... So I am waiting until I have a couple of spare weeks I can assign to that task. This usually happens at christmas/new year. Unfortunately, for jrMan, we were all very busy with our paying jobs these last few weeks and weren't able to work more on jrMan.
Development on jrMan has been pretty erratic, and I don't know how complete a renderer it is.

Of course, Sascha can answer all this for himself. :P

I had a look to see if there was an API available for using Blender as an external render. Over time, there have been some work on creating an XML format that Blender would recognize, but it seems that project has - for the moment - been abandoned. :?

While looking for the Blender API, I found QDune, a new renderer for Blender. Unlike Sunflow and jrMan, it's written in C/C++. It's claim to fame is that it's a micropolygon renderer. At one point, it looked like it was going to be picked up for use in the Peach project, but that's not going to happen. It's not terribly fast, and is still in early development. Since being dropped from Peach, it looks like development is on hold.
dcuny

Postby sascha » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:41 am

It looks like Sunflow just added support for subdivision surfaces.

Looks promising, but from what I've read, it's in a quite early stage of development (it simple subdivides everything to a predefined level - no adaptiveness, no caching). It would be interesting if it's already got support for crease/corner tags (these are quite important features, IMHO).
sascha
Site Admin

Return to General discussion