Blender's Bmesh

General discussion about JPatch

Blender's Bmesh

Postby dcuny » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:24 pm

I ran across this page on the Blender site talking about the progress that they're making toward supporting N-gons (and the associated editing tools). There's also a development page with some technical details.

It may (or may not) be applicable to JPatch - my knowledge of the internal workings of the new mesh is minimal.
dcuny

Re: Blender's Bmesh

Postby sascha » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:16 am

JPatch is using an improved HalfWing datastructure to represent polygon models (as basis for the SDS algorithm). It supports n-sided polygons as well as non-manifold surfaces and the structure is ideally suited to allow for local topology changes (aka modeling ;-) )
There's one limitation and one recommendation though: 1st Holes are not supported (you need to split the face manually to create a hole). And 2nd, polygons should be convex. "Slightly" concave polygons work too (If you split the polyongs into a triangle-fan with the center at the polygon center and get no overlapping triangles), but some more concave faces might result in odd looking SDS models.
I don't think that any of these limitation is a show stopper, remember that JPatch's primary focus is character animation and "organic" shapes - you still can model props and buildings with it, but it's not a CAD program.

It's also necessary to have a manifold surface for the SDS algorithm to create a smooth mesh (but that's rather a propery of the SDS algorithm). Non manifolds are supported, but result in creases at the boundaries.
sascha
Site Admin

Return to General discussion