3delight

General discussion about JPatch

3delight

Postby dcuny » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:30 pm

I was playing with DazStudio the other day, and I noticed that 3delight came packaged with it. The renders that it produced were quite nice looking. It was pretty fast, except when working with large shadow maps.

For some reason, I had gotten it mixed up with ExLuna) (aka "That other REYES renderer that got litigated out of existence"), so I hadn't been following it that closely. Popping over to their webpage, I see that it runs on Windows, Linux and OS X, and that a single user license is free.

The main thing that's kept me away from trying it out (other than not having a usable version of JPatch ;)) is sheer laziness ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H not knowing if shadow mapping is automatically supported. So:

• Has anyone used 3delight with JPatch?
  • Are there any other restrictions on it (other than a single user)?
  • How do the renders look?
  • Do they require a lot of tweaking to get that way?
  • How fast is it?
  • Are shadow maps integrated?
  • Do things generally "just work" with JPatch, or does it require a lot of fiddling?
Thanks! :D
dcuny

Re: 3delight

Postby pndragon » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:06 am

* Has anyone used 3delight with JPatch?
* Are there any other restrictions on it (other than a single user)?
* How do the renders look?
* Do they require a lot of tweaking to get that way?
* How fast is it?
* Are shadow maps integrated?
* Do things generally "just work" with JPatch, or does it require a lot of fiddling?

1) I use 3delight because it is less buggy than Aqsis.
2) No other restrictions other than the standard ones about commercial work.
3) The renders look really good,
4) don't require much if any tweaking,
5) and are really fast.
6) I haven't used shadow maps much.
7) Some fiddling is definitely required, especially on a linux box.

--- Jim
"We're so sorry, Uncle Albert,
But we haven't done a bloody thing all day."
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Postby dcuny » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:38 am

Thanks! I'll have to play with it when the next version of JPatch comes out! :) (I've got too many other projects going on to play with it right now - I don't want to get distracted by another).

One thing that would be nice at some point would be to have a standard JPatch animation scene, and run it with various renderers. For one thing, it would make a good point of comparison. For another, it would make a good advertisement for the variety of renderers that JPatch supports.
dcuny

Postby sascha » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:31 am

I've used it about one or two years back to test JPatch's RIB output. I've noticed that it's been much faster than Aqsis and supports raytracing. Setting up the licensing server was a bit tricky, but I'm glad that they're giving away non-commercial licenses for free at all.
The last time I've tried Aqsis it was quite slow, did not support raytracing and had some issues.
Has anyone given Pixie a try?
It would also be cool to get a demo version of PrMan, but I don't think there is one.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby pndragon » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:11 pm

Has anyone given Pixie a try?

I tried pixie over 2 years ago. There were some issues regarding how well it conformed to the standard. At that time, it was really easy to use but it was like (at least to me) RenderMan's version of MS Word... it did a lot of things for you under the hood. It made many assumptions about what you wanted to do. Things may have changed since then.

Because of this, IMHO it is not really a good renderer for learning how to use the renderman standard. But that also applies to Aqsis and 3delight. All of the books are written for PRMan and do not give any help trying to adapt their lessons to another renderer.

--- Jim
"We're so sorry, Uncle Albert,
But we haven't done a bloody thing all day."
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Return to General discussion