Any objections to switching to GPLv3?

General discussion about JPatch

Any objections to switching to GPLv3?

Postby sascha » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:53 pm

I'm considering switching to GLPv3 for new versions of JPatch. The current versions use GPLv2. Any objections?
sascha
Site Admin

Postby pndragon » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:21 pm

what are the differences between v2 and v3? Is it possible to see what JPatch looks like with v3 in order to give an informed opinion?

--- Jim
"We're so sorry, Uncle Albert,
But we haven't done a bloody thing all day."
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Postby sascha » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:10 pm

Oh, sorry - it's the GNU General Public License. Version 2 has just been updated to version 3 to improve compatibility with other licenses and to make it easier to adopt internationally, and to better suit the needs of Free Software in the 21st Century (protection from new threats such as tivoizatzion, DRM and software patents, to name a few).

Currently JPatch is licensed under "version 2 [...], or (at your option) any later version".
You could still use it free of charge, and you could still "redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License", but this time "version 3 [...], or (at your option) any later version".

There's plenty of information available about the GPL (version 2 and 3 and the differences) and free software philosophy in general on the internet. Good starting points are Wikipedia, the Free Software Foundation and the GNU Project.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:14 pm

I've got no problems with going with using GPL3.

Will this effect being able to link software (such as Sunflow) which is licensed under the MIT license?
dcuny

Postby sascha » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:26 pm

I don't know - one of the objectivities of GLPv3 was compatibility with other licenses and I know that it's compatible with the Apache licence now - I'll have to look for MIT though.

If all else fails we could ask the author if he'd agree to dual-license it (once JPatch is more complete).
sascha
Site Admin

Return to General discussion