IRTC Topic for January 2007: Dance

General discussion about JPatch

Postby sascha » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:33 pm

The animation is quite good, but it's got ... an odd sort of diffuse color to everything

Yes, it looks like they've used Pov-Rays ambient light instead of fill lights. I tend to always turn the anbient term down to 0 or to a very small figure, and use multiple fill lights to brighten up the shadows. It doesn't look as realistic as GI (or even ambient occlusion) , but it looks good enough and is quite cheap (in terms of CPU cycles). Some back-lights are useful to - so eventually I end up using a classical 3-point-light setup most of the time.

Interestingly, John VanSickle has also announced that he's going to be adding animation capabilities to his subdivision surface-based LionSnake modeler. So it looks like there'll be a bit more competition for JPatch.

Competition is always good :-)

I haven't took a look at LionSnake for a while, but I do from time to time.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:38 pm

The last round's animations have been posted, and are available for comment.

As usual,. Rusty and Anthrosphynx lead the pack. I still like Danse Macabre, but Moai is weak on repeated viewings. :?

Interestingly, John VanSickle's posted a bit of animation from his LionSnake modeler.

Since this isn't a competition round, it's not clear when they'll be posting the comments, or any results.
dcuny

Postby sascha » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:00 am

I haven't had time to view all the entries, but I'll let you know what I think about how "Dancing with Moai" will match with them.

What I don't understand is why there is no voting this round. Don't get me wrong, I certainly hope that everything is alright with the missed IRTC admin. But I don't see a reason for stopping the voting process - I'm sure a lot of people from the POV-Ray community would volunteer to help out.

Perhaps this rounds entrants will setup a kind of unofficial voting (each entrant could post his vote to the newsgroup server, for example). This might be impractical for the stills competitions, but for the ~10 entries in the animation competition is should be manageable.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:58 pm

I've asked why there's no voting; we'll see if there's a response.

From what he's posted, it looks like Chris would like to kill off the "old" IRTC contest and replace it with something different. :?
dcuny

Postby sascha » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:41 am

From what he's posted, it looks like Chris would like to kill off the "old" IRTC contest and replace it with something different.

Very well then, but this still does not explain why they suspend voting forthis round :?
sascha
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General discussion