Mac Book

General discussion about JPatch

Mac Book

Postby sascha » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:14 pm

I'm now owner of a MacBook :D
So eventually OS-X support of JPatch should improve.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:18 pm

Cool! My co-worker just got a Mac the other week. He got tired of having to mess with his machine, and decided that he wanted something that "just worked."

How well that maps to Java, you'll soon find out. :)
dcuny

Postby sascha » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:47 am

Cool! My co-worker just got a Mac the other week. He got tired of having to mess with his machine, and decided that he wanted something that "just worked."

My first encounter with OSX was the Intel version that leaked to the internet (which ran in a VMWare). I was curious, so I downloaded it (which was a criminal, barbaric act of piracy - don't do this at home! ;-) ). The VM was far too slow for all the graphical gimmicks, but what convinced me was the fact that beneath the shiny user interface there is a full featured unix system (BSD based). Just open a few terminal winows and you think you're on Linux :)

How well that maps to Java, you'll soon find out.

I ran the updater, which also installed Java 1.5, and I got Eclipse 3.2 to run. JPatch 0.4 also seems to work, but I still have to try the newer versions with OpenGL support.
I bought a four button "Mighty Mouse" too. Unfortunately there's still just one button, only it detects where it has been clicked - this is still incompatible with JPatch's weld operation (right click with left button down), so I gotta add a keyboard shortcut for weld. Does anybody know how welding works on the Mac version of A:M?

I've also seen that there are some OS-X specific options for Swing - e.g. to place the menubar on top of the screen instead of inside the applications main window. I'll have to look into this.
sascha
Site Admin

Return to General discussion