Debug menu question

General discussion about JPatch

Debug menu question

Postby squirrelhavoc » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:06 am

What does the "Dump" menu item do? I seem to have run into a bug that makes each thing I do leave "ghosts" of itself (like a selection box growing, while leaving smaller versions behind), then eventually the display/'work area doesn't respond and just turns grey. I figured if I had something you could look at, like a dump, I could give it to you and maybe you can tell me what's wrong. I clicked it, but nothing really happened, no new files in the jpatch or my home directory.

Just incase it matters, I was running it in OpenGL mode with a kinda recent NVIDIA GeForce FX card.
Squirrel Havoc

We live as we think, very very slowly....
squirrelhavoc

Postby sascha » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:39 am

What does the "Dump" menu item do?

It depends. I use it for debugging. In general it dumps the whole model or animation in "human-readable" form to the screen - it's not quite like the xml output, and I can set what actually will be dumped (depending on which information I'm looking for), so its likely that the output of dump looks different in each version.

I seem to have run into a bug that makes each thing I do leave "ghosts" of itself (like a selection box growing, while leaving smaller versions behind)

Looks like some method throws a RuntimeException (probably before it can clear the previous selection rectange), I've seen this a few times.
If you run into such a situation, it's unlikely that you can recover from it, but saving the model/animation and restarting JPatch is worth a try.
Depending on the nature of the problem, it might not be able to save a valid model, so don't overwrite existing files (although JPatch makes a backup of any overwritten file, adding a ~ to the filename).

Currently you'll only see the dump output (and stack traces after exceptions) when starting JPatch from a terminal window (or DOS-box on Windows). I'll change that in the future: JPatch will record all errors and debugging output for bug reports - you could then cut'n'paste the information into a bug-report email, or alternatively have JPatch submit a bug-report via the website automatically.
sascha
Site Admin

Return to General discussion