IRTC Topic: Technology

General discussion about JPatch

IRTC Topic: Technology

Postby dcuny » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:21 am

Technology is this round's IRTC topic, although I could have sworn they'd already done this one. No need for cloth or water here. ;)

It seems like any number of prior topics could be revisited. For example, the housebuilding robots, or the giant drill both fit under the general topic. If the FK tool gets implemented soon, and the next release is stable, I'd like to try the housebuilding robot story - I'm rather fond of it by now. :)
dcuny

Postby squirrelhavoc » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:19 am

Perfect, my idea from the Inventions topic still works with no changes. Too bad I deleted the little work I did :(

But this makes me think you could revisit ideas from that thread and maybe get a head start with creating a new animation. You know, it wasn't until Impostor that I learned that JPatch (or even patch modeling) even existed. After seeing that, I was always curious as to what else he could come up with
Squirrel Havoc

We live as we think, very very slowly....
squirrelhavoc

Postby pndragon » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:02 pm

How about this:

A massive Rube Goldberg device whose ultimate goal is to fry an egg on the sidewalk.

--- Jim
"We're so sorry, Uncle Albert,
But we haven't done a bloody thing all day."
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Postby squirrelhavoc » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:11 am

That kinda makes me think of a auto-pancake flipper or page turner
Squirrel Havoc

squirrelhavoc

Postby sascha » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:21 pm

Well, I think it should be possible to create something with one of the latest development snapshots I put online (in the forum, not JPatch 0.5.2!) - I mean the version I made the walk-test with.

For myself I'd like to keep working on the animator, but if there is enough time I'd love to do the drill animation (mainly because the drill, a man-character and a kangaroo have already been modeled).

I'd like to use the "pink-panther" man for the boss though (his arms are too short for the "rotate camera while falling up/down" trick). For the actual hero I could imagine a character looking a bit like Frozone from The Incredibles.

I like Rube Goldberg device too, but that alone doesn't fit into "character animation", and that's what I'd like to test with JPatch.
Last edited by sascha on Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby squirrelhavoc » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:45 am

sascha wrote:Well, I think it should be possible to create something with one of the latest development snapshots I put online (in the forum, [n]not[/b] JPatch 0.5.2!) - I mean the version I made the walk-test with.

How can I tell which I have? I could have sworn I got the latest snap shot, but it says 0.5.2.cvs Development Version

Does the cvs means its the snapshot?
Squirrel Havoc

squirrelhavoc

Postby sascha » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:29 am

Yes, I've put that cvs behind the version to indicate that it's a snapshot from the CVS (concurrent version system).
It's probably better to put a date behind the version to tag "unofficial" builds (and to be able to distinct between them).

I think I've added the date to the jar filename though.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:57 pm

I've been kicking around some more "technology" ideas - cavemen, job displacement, how technology effects relationships between people... I've also been listening to the soundtrack for A Series of Unfortunate Events, especially Drive Away (the End Title) with its mechanical precision of clockwork. (The end title of the movie has a lot of interesting technology ideas as well).

It's not that I don't like the existing ideas, I just suspect that there's perhaps a more focused idea out there. :?
dcuny

Postby pndragon » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:48 pm

What is the exact definition of "technology"? In the short novel, "Magic, Incorporated" by Robert A. Heinlein, magic is defined as technology.

--- Jim
"We're so sorry, Uncle Albert,
But we haven't done a bloody thing all day."
--- Paul McCartney
pndragon

Postby dcuny » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:41 pm

29 days after the end of the last round, and the IRTC competition page still hasn't been updated... :roll:

I was thinking about a Davey and Goliath sort of thing, with subtitles, but no sound (i.e. moving lips, but no real attempt to do real lipsync), sort of like the Monkey Island adventure games.
    Davey: I'm going to build a robot to do my chores!
    Sally: Rabbi Frazier says robots are just mechanical golems that will eventually turn on us.
    Davey That's silly. Besides, we're Lutheran.
He goes on to build the robot, which then destroys everything in sight - the dishes, the flowers in the vase... even the television. The robot is deactivated, and Mom arrives to chastises him:
    Mom: Well, Davey... Did you anything learn today?
    Davey: You bet, Mom! Robots are evil.
dcuny

Postby dcuny » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:06 pm

Well, much like Linus waiting for the Great Pumkin, another IRTC round has come and gone without me creating an animation. On the positive side, I did create half a head, and played with rigging a non-unibody character. I learned - once again - if you don't model a character with animation in mind, it's going to deform terrribly when animated. I was also again reminded how easy it is to thing you're in Edit Morph mode, when in reality you're just destroying your model. It's a good thing JPatch has an undo. Ah, yes... there's some interesting behaviors with undo when working with bones and splines, but I was too tired to write a proper bug report. :roll:

Well, no matter. In a matter of a few months, another new IRTC topic will be posted. ;)
dcuny

Return to General discussion