Promoting on Wikipedia

General discussion about JPatch

Promoting on Wikipedia

Postby dcuny » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:46 am

I noticed that a number of free 3D graphics programs have webpages on the Wikipedia.

Anyone want to add JPatch? :)
dcuny

Postby sascha » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:43 am

JPatch is on the dutch Wikipedia:

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lijst_van_ ... gramma%27s
and
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPatch

I think it's Wikipedia's "code of honor" to not advertise his own company, product, software, whatever.
wikipedia wrote:1. Wikipedia is an encyclopedia. Its goals go no further, and material that does not fit this goal must be removed to another Wikimedia project, or else altogether. (See What Wikipedia is not)
2. Avoid bias. Articles should be written from a neutral point of view, representing all views on a subject, factually and objectively, in an order which is agreeable to a common consensus.
I think these rules make sense, and I also know that the Wikipedians are quite rigorous - some articles are deleted before you can edit them.
They might very well consider JPatch as not notable.

So, obeying policy 2, I am not going to add a JPatch article to Wikipedia.
If you feel that JPatch is "noteable" and should be on Wikipedia, feel free to add it (I am not going to delete it as well :wink:).
For what it's worth, I'd wait until JPatch 0.6 was released - which should be stable and have all the basic features needed for modeling and animation implemented.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:32 am

Waiting until the 0.6 release makes sense.

On the other hand, I see no conflict with you posting a factual entry for JPatch. It's not like there's a lot of controversy about its existance. ;)
dcuny

Postby sascha » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:03 pm

Yes, but (citing Wikipedia) there's no controversy about the existence of your neighbors dog either, yet it's not notable enough to justify an entry in an encyclopedia.

But I've seen that someone has created a JPatch entry in the POV-Ray Wiki 4 days ago :-).
sascha
Site Admin

Return to General discussion