IRTC Topic: Water and Waves

General discussion about JPatch

IRTC Topic: Water and Waves

Postby dcuny » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:11 am

I'm guessing that a full-scale similation of water is out of the question here, even if JPatch supported it. :?

Actually, I had been looking at simulating liquid a couple months back. The core simulation is actually pretty simple to write. The more difficult bit is converting the data into a mesh, and handling collisions. And, of course, you need lots and lots of time and memory to run the simulation.

This clip from Rustboy (2.5 Megs) came to mind when I read the topic. The rolling waves are done using deformation tools, and the smaller surface ripples are created using and animated image and bump map.

I'm guessing that JPatch could achieve a similar effect by manually creating the waves, and using perlin noise to bumpmap the surface. Inyo doesn't support bumpmapping yet, but it shouldn't be to difficult to add - it's already got the code for texture mapping, and bumpmapping is just perturbing the normals, right? (Easier said than done).

Here are some images I've Googled up showing some cartoony water effects:

ImageImageImage

If you're going to have the ocean, might the moai make a return visit? ;)
Last edited by dcuny on Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dcuny

South Seas Idol

Postby pndragon » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:46 pm

might the moa make a return visit?

Scene: Easter Island
We see a surfer riding a wave all the way from the horizon to the beach. He gets to the beach and collapses in exhaustion.

Camera pulls back.

We see the 2 moai from the first IRTC entry.

Moa 1: Well, I am absolutely amazed... That was quite good. I didn't think he had it in him...

Moa 2: I have to agree. He'll go far.

Camera pulls back a little further to show a third, smaller moa.

Moa 3: (with an English accent) Well, I think that sucked. I mean, it's not about endurance, it's about capturing your audience.

--- Jim
pndragon

Postby dcuny » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:59 pm

Hehehe. :D

(For our international audience, the third judge is a nod to Simon Cowell.)

Darned, I thought I fixed that typo a few days ago. A moa was a large, flightless prehistoric bird; a moai is one of those giant carved statues from Easter Island. :roll:
dcuny

Postby pndragon » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:27 pm

A moa was a large, flightless prehistoric bird;

Still applies...
:D

--- Jim
pndragon

Postby squirrelhavoc » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:58 pm

That sounds pretty funny. Ive had bad luck coming up with ideas for the last 3 topics, so maybe I'll "borrow" one of your ideas that you don't use :)
Squirrel Havoc

We live as we think, very very slowly....
squirrelhavoc

Postby sascha » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:14 am

I too thought about a comeback of the Moais, so I like pngdragons script a lot :-)
I could enhance the old models a bit (e.g add bones so they can twist, bend and nod a little). The most tricky part could be the wave - but I think usig a static model of a surf wave and and animated, moving water texture should do the trick. We can even use Inyo again.

Inyo doesn't support bumpmapping yet...

Yes it does! The rock texute of the Moais from the first JPatch animation did use bump mapping!

About the script. Perhaps we should add a shot of the Moais before we see the surfer: Shot 1: Moais, completely inanimate, just sitting there and staring (well, just like the real ones). But then we see what they're starting at: Shot two: Full shot (tele) of the surfer, riding the wave.
Instead of (or in addition to) the cut the camera could also move behind the Moais to show the beach and the surfer.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dphamhi » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:34 pm

dcuny wrote:Hehehe. :D
A moa was a large, flightless prehistoric bird; a moai is one of those giant carved statues from Easter Island. :roll:

LOL , thanks David.

I saw the 3 animations on top of the page and scratched my head :
MOA = "Members Only AnimationFactory"

At least that 's watermarked on the pix !
( I'm one of the cited "international audience" - :wink: )
~ dphamhi ~
dphamhi

Postby dcuny » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:33 pm

For the opening shot, you could have a bikini babe walk in front of the camera. The camera would then focus on the moai in the distance:

Moai 1: There's a nice one.
Moai 2: I'll say.
Moai 1: (Irritated) No, a nice wave. Check out that surfer...

Of course, this is just an excuse to show off the zblur. Inyo already supports focal blur, but it's pretty expensive. :D
dcuny

Postby sascha » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:18 pm

For the opening shot, you could have a bikini babe walk in front of the camera.

Heh, yeah, like in the Baywatch title sequence ;-)

Of course, this is just an excuse to show off the zblur. Inyo already supports focal blur, but it's pretty expensive.

I'd rather use layers instead.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Sun May 21, 2006 7:20 am

At Cartoon Brew I found a link to Flushed Away (QuickTime, 30Meg).

The reason I mention it here is that it's got some stunning water effects. For example:
  • The bottle of Perrier water at :30
  • The liquid from the garbage disposal at :40
  • When Roddy falls into the toilet at 1:30 (note the caustics)
  • The toilet flushing at 1:31
  • The drain at 1:35
  • The fountain at 1:46
  • The water chase at 1:50
  • More splashes at 1:52
Most of the water looks like it's of the same variety that Blender uses - a Boltzmann simulation. Very pretty, and very expensive.

Interestingly, the credits are for the "...the creators of Shrek and Madagascar", not Aardman studios. :?

A couple of other things I noticed:
  • The mouths are very "poppy" in the Aardman style. This is especially evident at 1:38 when "Nemo" is speaking.
  • The backgrounds are fairly static. Most of the shots could probably have been composited.
  • I like the large strands of hair the characters have - even the human girl at :09. They don't show the faces of the humans, but their general design is stylized. At :51, it looks like one of the strands is detached from Roddy's head.
  • They don't appear to be using cloth simulation.
  • The skin is interesting - it's not clay, but it's not quite skin. I'm not sure what to make of it, but it's a bit too CGI for my taste.
I like the Aardman look, and I think it translates nicely.
dcuny

Postby sascha » Sun May 21, 2006 8:18 am

Interestingly, the credits are for the "...the creators of Shrek and Madagascar", not Aardman studios.

I guess more people know "Shrek and Magagascar" than know Aardman studios (or even Wallace and Gromit).

I like the claymation look of the characters - but the (e.g. water-) effects are nice as well. That's what I like about such CGI animations - it's a combination of styles (in this case claymation and photorealism).
sascha
Site Admin

Postby sascha » Wed May 24, 2006 9:53 am

Scene: Easter Island
We see a surfer riding a wave all the way from the horizon to the beach. He gets to the beach and collapses in exhaustion.

Camera pulls back.

We see the 2 moai from the first IRTC entry.

Moa 1: Well, I am absolutely amazed... That was quite good. I didn't think he had it in him...

Moa 2: I have to agree. He'll go far.

Camera pulls back a little further to show a third, smaller moa.

Moa 3: (with an English accent) Well, I think that sucked. I mean, it's not about endurance, it's about capturing your audience.

Quickened by the successful walking test, I seriously consider making this animation for the current IRTC round (of course with David's bikini babe, to showcase the walking feature :) ) Could you help me with the voice recording?
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dcuny » Wed May 24, 2006 10:32 am

I'll be happy to help.

If you can't get an actual British accent, I've got a friend who can fake it about as well as Brits can fake an American (oops, I mean "Atlantic") accent. :)
dcuny

Postby pndragon » Wed May 24, 2006 10:51 am

Since the moai (maois?) speak so slow and deep, you might want to consider changing moai #3 into a seagull or something just so you can keep a higher voice. As much as they say this is all about the visuals, you still have to be happy with the final cut.

--- Jim
pndragon

Postby sascha » Wed May 24, 2006 11:01 am

According to Wikipedia the plural is moai :)
I like the idea of the third person being something else. When looking at Wikipedia I learned that a moa is an extinct, giant New Zealand bird.
Last edited by sascha on Wed May 24, 2006 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
sascha
Site Admin

Next

Return to General discussion