New IRTC anim topic (round ending 4/2006): Special Effects

General discussion about JPatch

Postby pndragon » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:56 pm

where the "true" story of special effects, and how they are being replaced by computers, would be revealed. A sort of "mini documentary".

...living on the street in cardboard boxes... drinking out of bottles wraped in brown paper bags... pushing rusty shopping carts of nameless junk...?

--- Jim
pndragon

Postby pndragon » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:58 pm

(continued)

... looking for work at the Employment Office?

--- Jim
pndragon

Postby pndragon » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:00 am

(continued again)

... flipping burgers in a fast food restaurant?

--- Jim
pndragon

Postby squirrelhavoc » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:14 am

Hey, old goblins bagging groceries for a living, I like that! Can't tell if you were being sarcastic or not, but you stumbled onto something funny, on topic, and you wouldnt have to actually animate any special effects, as long as you could convey that they ARE the special effect goblins
Squirrel Havoc

We live as we think, very very slowly....
squirrelhavoc

Postby dcuny » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:19 am

When I initially throught up the idea, I was only thinking of personifying special effects. I'm really happy with the idea, because I think it rather cleverly solves the problem of having special effects in the animation. I initially throught the conflict would come from other people (Ray Harryhausen, WETA Digital, etc.) taking credit for their work. But I think the unemployment angle is much more effective.

The same images that you suggested - flipping burgers and standing in line at the unemployment line - immediately sprang to mind. Another option was to have the characters take film related jobs - for example, one would be the editor of the "Dune" film. (Sorry, my references are nowhere near current).

The initial thought was that the characters would be standing around on movie sets. That's a bit of a holdover from the initial idea where they were still employed. With the unemployment scenario, I could imagine them standing outside a Hollywood movie studio lot (probably a photo) or a simple set where they would be interviewed (simple to model).

For silliness, the characters could have black rectangles placed in front of their eyes to hide their identity. You could superimpose names and credits, like "Fred Jones/Tornado in "The Wizard of Oz".

I was also thinking about Dream on Silly Dreamer, a documentary that was made on the day Disney shuttered their Feature Animation department in California.

There's also the Brisk Ice Tea advertisement where the animated puppets are fired.

What I don't know is how Sascha will feel about an animation that's lip-sync intensive. If it would help, I'd offer to do the lipsync. :D
dcuny

Postby squirrelhavoc » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:45 am

Who would you get to do the voice acting?
Squirrel Havoc

We live as we think, very very slowly....
squirrelhavoc

Postby dcuny » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:52 am

I'd be happy to supply the voices myself, or using family members. If Sascha's tired of listening to me, he could ask for volunteers.

I don't think the special effects need special voices - I'd imagine them to sound like anyone you'd meet off the street. :P

That's assuming he wants to go with this particular approach.
dcuny

Postby dcuny » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:17 pm

There are about 45 days to go until this IRTC round ends. Is there any chance the Animation module will be ready in time? Just curious. :?
dcuny

Postby sascha » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:28 pm

I for myself will not enter the IRTC this round. Partially because I've little time, but also because the topic isn't really interesting (although there are quite a lot of nice story ideas, none of them really stands out).

I really needed a break, so I haven't touched JPatch for the last 3 or 4 weeks :( (besides discussing some code modifications with Torf).
But I'm feeling fit again, so I can start finishing (:wink:) that timeline stuff with new energy.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby animohn » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:33 pm

With this round of IRTC nearing an end, I was wondering what shape you think Jpatch might be in for the next round. Beyond the timeline is Ik feasible? I guess I'm really just asking how you see Jpatch progressing in the near future. The lack of talk on here lately has been a little disconcerting.
animohn

Postby sascha » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:37 am

With this round of IRTC nearing an end, I was wondering what shape you think Jpatch might be in for the next round.

I honestly can't tell.

I guess I'm really just asking how you see Jpatch progressing in the near future. The lack of talk on here lately has been a little disconcerting.

It always becomes quiet here if there was no release for some time. Beyond that, there's no reason to worry. There is slow but steady progress, and I've put so much time into JPatch that I don't think about giving up!
It wasn't easy, but the animator is almost integrated into JPatch's main GUI - in the past weeks I merely worked on things "under the hood" that should eventually make JPatch more stable and easier to maintain/extend. Torf is working on a new implementation of hooks, for the same reason. There's also some progress in the animator, and in the overall GUI design.
The next stable release (whenever it's ready) will most probably lack IK support, but apart from that should have a nice set of animation tools.
sascha
Site Admin

Postby dphamhi » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:58 pm

sascha wrote: It always becomes quiet here if there was no release for some time. Beyond that, there's no reason to worry. There is slow but steady progress, and I've put so much time into JPatch that I don't think about giving up!
It wasn't easy, but the animator is almost integrated into JPatch's main GUI - in the past weeks I merely worked on things "under the hood" that should eventually make JPatch more stable and easier to maintain/extend.

All the better !
Thanks and good luck. I'm very eager to continue work on my animation.
Here's a screen copy :)
Attachments
screen_5.2.cvs.jpg
Hope to finish this before May !
screen_5.2.cvs.jpg (34.65 KiB) Viewed 7679 times
~ dphamhi ~
dphamhi

Postby dcuny » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:29 am

It looks the like IRTC submissions are in, at least on the FTP site. They seem rather lackluster to me (even Rusty seemed a bit tame), but not having submitted anything myself, I should probably keep my mouth shut... :D
dcuny

Previous

Return to General discussion