New Demo Reel (2009_2) all done with Jpatch

General discussion about JPatch

New Demo Reel (2009_2) all done with Jpatch

Postby rjh » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:42 pm

Just updated my site (http://www.smartcomix.com/) with a new 2009_2 reel:

http://www.smartcomix.com/mov/Sc2009rl2 ... 4gen03.mov
http://www.smartcomix.com/mov/Sc2009rl2 ... n3gen2.mov

The above 2 links are for (respectively) MPEG-4 and Sorenson3 Quicktimes (".mov"s). Please let me know if there are any issues viewing / accessing these links.

99.9% done in Jpatch. The only thing not Jpatch is the white text on black background sequences (at the very beginning and end of reel). The reel is composed of shots from new production currently in progress, and "look tests" I am running for some upcoming ideas not yet fully realized. You will probably recognize some of (if not all of) the characters ... I have grown quite fond of them. Putting them together in different circumstances has become a growing pastime of mine.

Thanks ! ... and enjoy ...

Rob
rjh

Re: New Demo Reel (2009_2) all done with Jpatch

Postby sascha » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:34 pm

Heh,

as with most of your animations, I don't really understand what they mean (but I guess that's ok and intentional) but I like them.
I like your style, it's really unique.

I like the toon-shader effect too.

The scene with the three stick-figures under the yellow lamp (at about 90s) looks, hmm, odd. Kind of unfinished, not as polished as the rest.
Unless this effect is intended, you could change the background or work on the lighting.
sascha
Site Admin

Re: New Demo Reel (2009_2) all done with Jpatch

Postby rjh » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:42 pm

Hey Sascha,

" ... I don't really understand what they mean (but I guess that's ok and intentional)"

Well ... somewhat intentional ... => ... I do want them to be enigmatic ... thought provoking in their ambiguity. But would like them to be compelling as well. It's my fear though (I think all artists feel this way on some level) that they are only compelling to me. I dont have many avenues for feedback. But the "what the ???" and "huh ???" factors have always been associated with most of what I have done in the past. Take a look at the comix (in the "Ill" section) at my web site. Very few people look at them and tell me "hey, I get it !". Most of the time, I get the "what the ???" and "huh ???" response. I guess I will always be looking for that perfect balance between enigmatic and compelling.

As for whats really on the reel, these are a few short clips from larger works in progress that aren't yet done. Works with actual storylines and everything! But there too the "stories" are quite odd and too have that "what the ???" and "huh ???" factor. I'm trying to develop something with "SquareDog" (the red dog from the clips at the beginning of the reel that's talking to the other 2 guys). From what little feedback I can garner, I have gotten a good response from all about him. They all say they want "... more SquareDog ...".

" ... but I like them. ... I like your style, it's really unique. ... I like the toon-shader effect too."

Thank you, thank you, and thank you ... =>

"The scene with the three stick-figures under the yellow lamp (at about 90s) looks, hmm, odd. Kind of unfinished, not as polished as the rest. Unless this effect is intended, you could change the background or work on the lighting."

That was a lighting contrast test between the ray-traced rendering (for the shadows) using basic plastic and matte shaders and the toon shader rendering that doesn't use ray-tracing at all ... and yes, is oh so unfinished. The 2 animations that happen at that point in the reel are identical except for the lighting / shading model used in each. It’s definitely not a finished piece ... just trying to show a contrast between two identical animations realized with 2 different rendering / look approaches.

And, I am trying to use the toon shader more ... its much less CPU intensive (read: much faster renders), allows for a much simpler lighting approach, and provides a look that I find appealing. The only thing I would like is a way to have the surface with that shader receive a shadow ... still trying to wrap my head around that one.

Thanks for looking and even more for the feedback. I have so much stuff to edit together ... alot of Jpatch; alot of 2D animation (Anime Studio - previously Moho) ... looks like 2010 will be a continuous stream of publishing ... a majority of which is presently Jpatch generated. I will keep posting links here when I update something "Jpatch" enough to warrant your attention, but take a look at SMARTcomix from time to time. The whole site will keep the foundation currently in place, but I am expanding the site with alot more content (alot of which will be Jpatch, plus quite a few "old" drawings of mine and a whole lot of "new" drawings / sketches.) and a few new "Portals" into new "areas" of SMARTcomix you may find interesting.

Rob
rjh

Return to General discussion